Pontiac GTO Forum banner
781 - 800 of 822 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #781 ·
My lack of retirement is the cause for the project creep not to mention the kids. I am doing it YoYo style tear it appart in the fall get it running every year for summer.
Been there, took me 8 years to save up for my car AFTER making sure family was set! Hang in there and keep at it! You'll get there and when you do you will be, justifiably, very proud of yourself!!! :D🏎

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #782 ·
Started the restore process... incase there are parts/fasteners I don't have in my kit. Some actually turn out looking like new!!!
Household hardware Gear Auto part Fastener Gas

This will need to be fixed.

Bumper Material property Automotive exterior Bicycle part Auto part

Parts in the tumbler after a good soak in a metal cleaner.

Jaw Art Wood Font Metal

Details hidden by rust appear...

Helmet Eyewear Finger Wood Gas

Actuator mount is almost clean... will remove the rest with paint remover.
Wood Gas Font Composite material Concrete

You can see some restored and others not done yet. Soak um, dry um with a hair drier and tumble...
Screw Art Metal Fastener Font

This is a before and after!

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Metal Automotive wheel system

One of these is not like the other... will ned to be straightened.

Grey Wood Tool Bumper Glove

Wash, rinse, repeat...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #783 ·
Been a touch busy.... paint paint and more paint!

90 percent of parts cleaned and painted... left the other headlight assembly together so I can use it as a guide to rebuild the second.

Wood Fixture Grey Tints and shades Concrete

Tire Automotive tire Tread Wheel Motor vehicle

Touched up the paint on the bumper after the mounting point fix.

Automotive tire Bumper Wood Road surface Asphalt

Notice the "torn" areas where a torch was used to open the mounting holes to allow adjustment of the bumper. They used a badly bent/damaged front bumper bracket. I'm also repairing a small portion of the right frame rail also damaged and butchered by a cutting torch.
Automotive tire Grey Bumper Automotive exterior Composite material
Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Hood Bumper

Not bad for a novice... cut a small filler piece from a strip of steel, welded, ground and painted.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Bicycle part Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Bumper
Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #784 ·
NOTE: If you ever need to replace your front Endura bumper bracket(s) be forewarned if you are replacing a bracket and using the original front bumper the brackets made today are manufactured to fit a NEW Endura bumper. The lower mounting hole on each side must be modified to allow the lower bumper mount to be completed. Top of the old bracket mounting hole is 8 inches the new bracket is 8 7/8th.

You can see some of the torch damage on the old bracket.

Ruler Office ruler Tire Tread Automotive tire
Automotive tire Ruler Tread Tire Office ruler

Soaked larger parts in a 5% cleaning vinegar bath for 24 hours before scrubbing with the kitchen scrubbers from Mrs. Dan's stash. :) Does a really good job of cleaning and loosening rust. A few easy passes with the kitchen scrubber and it's clean for painting. I use an old overheating hair drier to heat up parts to make sure all moisture is removed before painting.

Dishware Fluid Wood Serveware Gas

Ended up getting new headlight actuators as well soooo those get washed with alcohol and cleared with diamond clear. Diamond clear works really well to protect metal from heat and crud.

One came in damaged... Ames reaplced it in just a couple days!

Liquid Finger Knee Tints and shades Electric blue

Painted the new brackets after modification and test fit for the misaligned lower mounting hole. First I used a self etching primer then rust preventive black. They look good, too bad no one will ever see them! :)

Wood Rectangle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

Wood Composite material Rectangle Auto part Metal

Tomorrow I start reassembly after more test fitting... if the rest of my parts get here.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #785 ·
Final test fit went perfectly. Now have the new brackets fastened in place on the bumper and waiting for the last of my parts to arrive. Decided to replace all the bushings in the hideaway headlight assemblies to avoid any trouble in the near future. Although the current bushings are ok to eh and since I have everything apart and restored everything else I should replace with new "while I was in there". :)
T-23 days to "opening day" AKA Burnin Rubber Day. a legitimate holiday here in the great North Coast. 🇺🇲

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #786 ·
So... one headlight bucket reassembled with new bushings etc... new actuators cleaned and cleared (background of pic below).

It became clear very quickly that adjustments are going to be needed when assembly is mounted to the bumper.
Precision engineering and assembly was not a high priority 59 years ago. ;)

Note: took a bit of figuring to identify all the proper nuts and bolts needed from the Master Body Kit to reassemble the front bumper. I am not familiar with the terminology used on the bag levels but I took one bag and matched it up with how things had to be reassembled. I. E. 6 nuts attach this, two bolts and U nuts attach this etc etc.

Note 2: the new headlight adjustment screws (and old) have two clips (one plastic and one metal) which must be snapped into place. Ensure clips are seated properly (inside the mounting hole) then slide a 3/8th extended socket over the screw and tap with a light hammer to seat the metal clip.

Bumper Automotive tire Automotive design Gas Automotive exterior

Did a small bit of frame work on this rail. It was fairly bent up. Flattening up the surfaces and eliminating bumps allowed the bumper bracket to be adjusted more easily/accurate. Applied a little heat and a dead blow hammer did the trick.

Will have to do a bit more "metal work" on flanges etc to make final assembly go better and fix some of the aforementioned potential rattles.

Also installed the frame seals which were trashed or missing.

Grey Wood Automotive tire Bumper Gas

Almost can't tell it was repaired, okay yea it does. Not bad for a rookie. ;)

Automotive tire Grey Bumper Automotive exterior Composite material

Touched up mounting spots... now to start reassembly then rewire headlight, parking and corner light sockets (Most are shot.) and replace vacuum hoses (which started started this whole front end restore project).

Automotive tire Bumper Wood Road surface Asphalt

Yesterday I found SEVERAL more missing nuts and or bolts. ALL of which I am CERTAIN will help stop rattles and banging as I drive over bumps on our lousy Ohio roads. Luckily, All the new hardware in the Master Body Kit is replacing the old in the front bumper so I can use those "old" OE fasteners to "fill in" the missing hardware.

Amazing how a car can "appear" to look all-together but in reality it isn't even close. I shouldn't be surprised any longer when I find these glaring oversights or lapses in judgement when it was "restored" nearly 30 years ago.

More to come...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #787 ·
Well, the next part designed to be used with NEWLY manufactured parts, not EOM, is the hidden headlight door bushings which allow the door to open and close. The new ones (black) are a bit thicker than the EO style (White) and require modification to allow the doors to move freely. I replaced all BUT the door bushings and everything appears to be working well - tested with a 25fcm vacuum pump and by mouth (simulating much lower vacuum levels).

Looks like the headlight in this bucket had been rubbing because it was not snug in its housing.

Automotive tire Font Red Automotive wheel system Audio equipment

Halfway done... looks good and operates as it should... I kept the other subassembly together so I could use it as a guide in reassembling the other side. Those smaller parts are now tumbling in my parts cleaner and the larger parts are soaking in 5% vinegar for a couple days followed by a short soak in metal cleaner and a wash and dry then paint etc.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

P.S. Spring is missing because I had to touch up the paint job...

T-16 days until opening day!!! :geek: mooo haahahahah :devilish:

More to come...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #788 ·
LOVE vinegar to strip parts... cheap, effective and reusable! most washes off with a stream of water, the rest with a little elbow grease (some times after another soak).

The brown stuff on the bottom appears to be glue used to hold the headlight door front on.

Rectangle Bag Bumper Material property Automotive exterior

Tints and shades Art Fashion accessory Metal Electric blue

Just over half done...

Furniture Table Desk Computer desk Office equipment

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Rim Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

Restoring bolts and screws... adding a coat of rust preventative paint.

Grey Rectangle Font Pattern Composite material

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #790 ·
That must give your salads an interesting taste.:\

I must confess to accidentally ingesting unidentified substances while under my car and talking to someone.
Ha too funny

Helps keep the in-laws away as well! ;)

All kidding aside, it works really well as a paint, grease and rust stripper. Cost is 3$ for a 1.3 gallon jug and it can be reused A LOT or poured into house drains to clean them. It's way cheaper than spending $40 bucks for a gallon of metal prep. I do use metal prep but as a wash to get the flash rust off parts after rinsing vinegar away... that way I use almost no metal prep.

Notice the flash rust after vinegar bath and before metal prep wipe down.
Wood Audio equipment Door Gas Fixture

After the metal prep wash... paint really sticks to metal after this process and is fairly durable given its from a rattle can.

Wood Audio equipment Gas Auto part Rim

Rectangle Automotive exterior Font Bumper Gas

Here you can see the paint literally falling off in the vinegar.

Liquid Fluid Recipe Gas Darkness

next, reassemble the left front... More to come...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #791 ·
Bumper assembled... installed and all working BUT one of the new turn signal housings. Ames is sending another, when back in stock.

Looks pretty good.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Tire Car Hood
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

Bad turn signal housing means the valance has to come back off... my hands are to large to fit in the small opening between body bits.

Vehicle Grille Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate

Friend helping me... Now waiting for new right hand door cover and left hand turn signal housing... :(

P.S. Turns out the right front fender is not a GTO fender. ;( Something to be addressed IF I get her a paint job in the future.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #792 ·
FYI: if you use loctite thread locker on screws for the headlight doors fronts and grill screws don't get it on the plastic... I used a very old bottle, apparently the plastic does not like the locker. It reacts with the plastic and ends up cracking. An expensive lesson.

Burned a little rubber in front of the house putting her away ;) ........ full on rain last night, all day today and tonight.... rubber burning season opens tomorrow!! mooohahahahaha :devilish:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #793 ·
oh, and if using the original chrome from headlight doors and grills on NEW doors and grills they will need some massaging to make fit... The grill moldings on mine were way off, doors were pretty close to a natural fit.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #794 ·
Decided to restore the turn signal housings since the "NEW" ones don't work and are out of stock. You can see the water lines in the housings... these babies were nearly half full!!! some elbow grease and a light wire brush did the trick. One on the right was nearly done... cleaned up pretty well. I cleared both front and back.

Finally have everything done! Left rubber all over town yesterday, good thing too, it will be raining for the next couple days so I have my rubber buring fix. :devilish:
Plumbing fixture Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Trunk

I have a little adjusting to do with the grills but it looks good now. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY there are zero rattles now!!! Amazing how much nicer it is ti drive with it being quiet!!! Total of 11 missing bolts!! Amazing.

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Hood

Speaking of bolts... normally a bad thing but these were all left over. All of them were incorrect or used in the wrong places. This doesn't count all the U-nuts left over as well, 4 or 5 different kinds were used in the "wrong" places as well. I should not be surprised anymore but I am. :eek:

Automotive tire Wood Font Art Auto part

Time to melt some B.F. Goodrichs!!! 🏎🏎🏎🏎🏎🏎:D

Next, finish the interior.... radio center console etc.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #800 ·
AND... If you plan to restore your valence and the turn signals try reusing the old housings. The new ones have a single screw holding everything together (Outter bezel, lens, gasket, housing, valance bezel and rear support bracket). The old housings, valance bezel and rear support bracket are held in by their own lock nuts and washers with the outer bezel, gasket and lens held in place by two small finish screws In the face of the housing. I mention this because to replace bulbs in the future (in the new housing) the entire assembly must be removed and you’ll need to get your hand (mine won’t fit) behind the housing through a small hole, some how, to hold everything together while installing the single long screw. You may need to remove the entire valance to get the job done and get everything back together.*

*unless a body and paint guy knows some trick.

781 - 800 of 822 Posts