Pontiac GTO Forum banner
801 - 820 of 822 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #801 ·
Mission accomplished! Rear tires are just about shot. :ROFLMAO:

Front on the right... rear on the left.

Had to have them rebalanced... car was shaking at highway speeds. New tires ordered to replace he rears. ;)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #802 ·
oops... guess I over did it. ;) Found several tears and was down to 3/32s tread.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Wood
Finger Thumb Tool Nail Nickel

Put the older tires on the back... started at 8/32s so I'll see what they are at the end of the season... or earlier. :)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #803 ·
New experience today... while traveling 35mph on a city street I tramped on the gas chirping the tires. ?? Not odd for a GTO but an automatic? Didn't think it possible...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #804 ·
We interrupt this driving season to bring you a foray into another example of shoddy work of others…

First… threads on the fuel filter inlet housing threads failed while one hour from home. Luckly had a bungee cord I used to “pull“ it into the carb so we cold get home.

To correct that issue I was fortunate to reach Cliff Ruggles who turned around the repair of my threads in LESS than ONE day!!! He also suggested increasing the needle and seat size while I had the carb apart to address the engine “laying down” at full throttle late in a run. Having previously increased to . 39 (from stock) with a carb rebuild kit from Cliff, he suggested an increase to .40. What a difference! Now she keeps pulling at the end of a run!! Who knew I could have MORE fun driving her!!! :)

Once again, Cliff knows his shit! Thanks Cliff!!!!

Now to the shoddy work on my engine rebuild! MORE shoddy work beyond the botched build and incorrect intake manifold after the second rebuild to fix the first!!!!!!

Early this spring I saw a really slow small oil drip at the front of the oil pan. Figured it was a loose oil pan bolt or two. Snugged all those and, dried the drip and moved on… a month later I get this after just a few moments of the engine running. Bad pic but you get the idea. Not where Texas crude should be!

Turns out the timing chain cover gasket had failed… or so I thought.

Took it all apart to find this!!! They used HOUSE caulk on the water pump AND timing chain cover!!! WTF!!!! And on top of that it, besides not being needed, you can see the CAULK squeezed out from the mating surfaces into the void and stuck to the interior portion of the gaskets and parts!!

No telling how much of that crap is floating around in the engine. At this point it's not causing issues and hopefully never does. I can't afford another rebuild of this engine, for those that doesn't know they are 2-3 times as much as a Chevy power plant, precisely why so many are put in all types of cars.

Luckily I have a 45 yr mechanic/drag racer to assist me. We got it back together, aside from a couple small coolant leaks everything went perfectly!

At least they used a one piece gasket on the oil pan... something they did right!

“While we were at it”, we suspected a failing fuel pump causing the lean fuel issue mentioned above. We installed a new OE fuel pump.

Now she runs like a scalded cat!! Lot’s of fuel and more power! Just in time for the Pontiac Nationals! Ha ha

Back to our feature Presentation ;)

I love the smell of burning rubber in the morning!!!!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #806 ·
Started to restore my air cleaner...

Question:
Use low gloss black or flat black paint? Mine has both finishes on it. Here it has both glossy and flat.

Interesting, everything was assembled then painted... even the gasket for the vacuum sensor was painted over!!

If you are going to make a die to remanufacture restoration parts why not duplicate the old part "exactly"? Old on top, new on bottom... Luckily the old brackets fit over and hold the new "motor" (as GM called them) very well so it will operate but still look like the original.

Spot welds were NOT spot welds, they were more like blob welds. the first one came off almost perfectly but the second had a weld 10 times larger. Tore the metal on the second snorkel but luckily it won't show once I get done with repairs and restoration of the assembly.

For shitz-n-giggles I'm using the Service manual procedure to repair these so technically it will be "correct: when I'm done even though there are new parts "under" the brackets. ;)

I was able to open the vacuum sensor "housing" and insert the new guts so it looks original - not that I'm a stickler for originality but I try to stay close as I can given my budget. ;)

More to come...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #807 ·
Got the air cleaner stripped and primed...

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread Automotive design Automotive exterior

A nice surprise hidden below the grime!!

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Grey Rim

You can see the bottom where the air cleaner stud in the carb was scrapped across the bottom...

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

More evidence the parts were assembled then painted.

Automotive tire Tire Tread Road surface Synthetic rubber

LOVE the Aircraft paint stripper!!! had it stripped except a few small areas in under 15 minutes!!!!

Font Rectangle Auto part Jewellery Metal
Wood Bumper Gas Triangle Metal

More to come...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #810 ·
Oh, and I forgot to mention I LOVE metal prep for bare metal!!! Amazing product, never ceases to amaze how clean metal is after a bath… sorry 67ventwindow. I hope I don’t trigger another flashback. ;)

·
Registered
1967 Lemans 1967 GTO parts car
540 Posts
Just remembering days where 18 year old E-1 know nothings got selected for wash rack duty. Come back with chemical burns cause improper suit sealing. But I see the Ambulance chasers have a class action law suit.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #812 ·
Looks pretty good!

Automotive tire Wheel Rim Automotive lighting Gas

Just painted original mounting brackets.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Road surface Grey

Holy crap!!! Self etching primer is $6 a can here! Can't wait until the world "gets right".

Rectangle Font Pattern Fashion accessory Electric blue

Assembly back on the car with vacuum "motors" working perfectly! Engine heats up a bit faster (also installed a 180 thermostat) with the "heat riser" working correctly now.

Next...

Trunk lid and other rattles/noises, glove box latch, install or swap out missing and incorrect nuts, bolts and screws...

Sending radio out for Aurora conversion, based on Flambau's recommendation. Thanks again Andy.

Oh, and melt remaining rear tire rubber by end of driving season. :devilish:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #813 ·
I initially reassembled the air cleaner with brown rivets, it's all I had, so I could get back on the road... today I swapped out the brown for black. much better.... ;)
Vehicle Camera accessory Reflex camera Camera lens Digital camera

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Camera lens Gear shift

I'm used to seeing a crappy damaged paint air cleaner but this is much better. ')

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle

🏎 :)

Road surface Asphalt Land lot Flooring Plant

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #814 ·
Been flyin around town burnin rubber while I still can… can’t believe it’s mid-September already! Fall/Winter hobbies are just around the corner!!!

Had a rapidly draining battery issue. Found out it was the glove box light not shutting off. Apparently over time the glove box door loosened up and dead battery. So while fixing that the glove box lock has broken. Now I can’ get the glow box open. Tried key in all orientations with no luck. Tried sticking a wire inside, no luck. Tried finesse and “vibrations’, no luck.

Anyone have a sure fire method to opening a broken glove box lock? Can it be picked? Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Keep the rubber side down. Dan

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Try bending a paperclip wire and insert on the top /flat part of the key so the cut end engages the tumblers a bit more.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Unfortunately that didn't work... paperclip was too large, I tried other smaller sized wire... no luck.

Anyone else have an idea?

Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #819 ·
No luck on the glove box lock as of yet. Locksmiths won’t touch it and nothing I’ve found on the internets worked there isn’t much out there on this... I’m hesitent to drill it as the front bezel and button are in very good condition and I would hate to destroy them. I’ll look into it next season… time to work on winter stuff and hobbies as it is raining A LOT here lately Cutting ride Eason short.

Enjoy/survive winter and see ya next year peeps! :)

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
No luck on the glove box lock as of yet. Locksmiths won’t touch it and nothing I’ve found on the internets worked there isn’t much out there on this... I’m hesitent to drill it as the front bezel and button are in very good condition and I would hate to destroy them. I’ll look into it next season… time to work on winter stuff and hobbies as it is raining A LOT here lately Cutting ride Eason short.

Enjoy/survive winter and see ya next year peeps! :)
Cut a big hole in the bottom of the glove box and reach up there and manually open the lock. Install a new replacement glove box.

801 - 820 of 822 Posts