Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 yrs ago I bought a set of radial TAs for my 67 GTO. Shortly after purchase the white letters got brown. I complained to the dealer and her got me a new set. Now, this set is doing the same thing. Does anyone else have this problem?? What can be done? I contacted BFG by email and received no reply.

·
Registered
167 Posts
A commercial product called Bleche White will clean them up. A homemade solution of laundry soap and bleach scrubbed on will as well. Be sure to rinse thoroughly! The browing is a reaction of rubber and ozone. There's little you can do to prevent it. It's the same process that slowly degrades the black parts of your tires as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I installed a new set of Firestone white walls on my Packard and had the same issue as you. But mine yellowed over the winter. I called where I purchased the tires they sent me a new batch and the same thing happened third time tires are ok but starting to yellow again. This batch has been on for 6 years now.

I was told by vendor they where having manufacturing issues on some tires and the last set they sent me were a fresh batch.

Attached pic is from the first batch

Attachments

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Mine are doing it on the edges 2 months old ,hoopersgarage warned me of this ,bad core molds they were using

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Accoring to a show judge I met, RWL tires are incorrect for my '68. So I'll be using blackwalls on mine when I replace the BFG's. I expect the blackwalls will then probably acquire a brownish tint. (See post #2):(

·
Registered
448 Posts
I am also a member of a Z28 sight and this seems like the best products for this issue. Tho I have never tried them, one is a cleaner and the other is a protectant.
20190420_164113.jpg
20190420_164134.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
2 yrs ago I bought a set of radial TAs for my 67 GTO. Shortly after purchase the white letters got brown. I complained to the dealer and her got me a new set. Now, this set is doing the same thing. Does anyone else have this problem?? What can be done? I contacted BFG by email and received no reply.
You can get a sharpie white oil based marker from home depot and paint the letters white yourself. It took me 45 min for the first tire and about 1/2 hour each for the other 3. Turned out nice. Dont know how long itll last.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
I’ve used a degreaser like purple stuff or 409 with Comet and a stiff brush for years. Cheap and works great.
The absolute best stuff to get the original blue off is tire mounting paste. Swab it on right after you balance the tires, while you bolt them on and torque them down it soaks in. Stiff bristled brush and some (a lot these days ) elbow grease and away you go. After the first time? Bleche White or regular bleach/laundry soap mixture. RINSE WELL...
I do not recommend Brillo pads or the like. You will make your white letters gray.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys, any type of degreaser or like Minsa'sa66 said "Bleach White" with a little elbow will get it out. But to be honest, what helps to turn the letters dirty and brown like that is Tire Shine or any shine products being directly applied over the white letters ( from my experience and a few friends). The best thing to do is get the Tire Sponge and apply the Tire Shine products directly on it and then maneuver around the white letters. It greatly helps :cool:.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi guys, any type of degreaser or like Minsa'sa66 said "Bleach White" with a little elbow will get it out. But to be honest, what helps to turn the letters dirty and brown like that is Tire Shine or any shine products being directly applied over the white letters ( from my experience and a few friends). The best thing to do is get the Tire Sponge and apply the Tire Shine products directly on it and then maneuver around the white letters. It greatly helps :cool:.
so that is why the letters are turning yellow. The Tire Shine! i had that happen to mine. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
But mine is turning not even a month old and has not seen any tire dressing just soap and water.Which goes back to BFG for a core mold issue ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's not good pontrc. That's deff sounds like Manufacture defect. Have you tried cleaning it with Bleach White or any degreaser to see if gets cleaned?

·
Registered
167 Posts
But mine is turning not even a month old and has not seen any tire dressing just soap and water.Which goes back to BFG for a core mold issue ?
I'm in this business. It's tricky for the manufacturers. Stuff goes wrong on their end for sure, but most of what goes wrong isn't the tire's fault. In this case pontrc, you need to contact BFG, which is Michelin. Where did you buy the tires? That will tell how it's handled. The place you bought them from is the best start. If you go to Michelin directly, they'll set up a case, have you go to a Michelin dealer, and have them look at the tires. It's rare that they don't offer 25-33% "good faith" off replacements. Yours being brand new with no evidence of "misuse", i say you get free replacements. This program is starting to suffer though as fewer and fewer "dealers" want to go through the hassle. We used to go out of our way to get this business...eat someone else's lunch. Now, if you didn't buy them from me, I generally don't handle it anymore. Chasing Michelin around for $ is frustrating....which is why I say start with where they came from.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts