Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm getting the interior ready for my car and decided to just try to fix my dash bezel as good as I can until I can get another one. The chrome on it is terrible and I was wondering if anyone knew a good type of paint to at least make it presentable without looking cheesy. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I'm also looking for the type of paint for the arm rest bases. My pads are good but the bases are toast. Is there any shade or brand anyone could suggest? Thanks a lot.

Blondiealmostthere67

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Linda, the paint (in my opinion) for the arm rest is "SEM Paint", any local auto body supply place can color match it for you. As far as paint for the chrome area?? no idea.
Good luck Rick

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rick,
Cool link. I got the new vinyl and sanded down the outside of the bezel. My chrome is shot and I don't want to send it in yet. The one hole and nick have been fixed but the top is warped. Apparently this is quite common...but anyways, I need to get something in before I paint the car. I'm just going to touch up the chrome with some kind of paint. I'll eventually find a refurbished one, but 67 AC ones are hard to come by and paying 795 without a core is kind of out of the question. I can get one with a core from 450-595, and I think I'll end up going that route.
Thanks again for that cool link. Very informative
Linda

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Hi Linda. I went the "Rukee Route' a long time ago and it came out ok. I used chrome model paint on the dase bezel ( not much chrome shows when the whole thing is assembled and the wood is attached), and I just ordered new chrome armrest bases. They were very reasonable, and still look new 18-20 years later. Don't paint the bases, there is too much chrome surface area, and it'll look cheesy. A friend just had his '65 bezel rechromed for big $$$, and he's not satisfied with the results. Says it looks kind of shabby. Lets see some pics of the body!!!
Jeff

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Jeff,
I'm just going to buy new bases. My pads are in great shape. There is a couple of pics of the body as of two weeks ago on my last post that no one responded to. The doors are being hung today after the jams are painted. My body guy had some serious personal issues which set us back a couple of weeks...stuff happens. But the whole car is ep'd and it should get painted this week. We're starting to put back some interior stuff like seat belts package tray, dash, etc. before we paint so nothing gets scratched. I'll send more pics after working on it tonight.

Linda

1 - 8 of 8 Posts