Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you go to a show do you count on and enjoy getting a dash plaque or not?? I haven't made a display for mine but do like to go through them from time to time just to see how many clubs are all really GONE..Let me know what you think!!....LES

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Most people count on getting a dash plaque in their goody bag. A person may not win a trophy, but at least they have the plaque to commemorate the occasion. I enjoy them......

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I could care less about them. I just enjoy driving the car more then showing it off.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I stick them on my garage refriegerator......

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like this is running 50-50 much like the Nationals convention chairs voted. And not ever coming up with a sponsor to help pay for them we didn't have any made! With that said I know there will be some available in the swap area. But it will still be interesting to me to see how this plays out in two weeks!! Thanks for the input.. Les

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I've got tropies and show winning plaques for when I had my Datsuns and other vehicles but I never took those to subsequent shows either.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I enjoy getting them but No I don't display them at the shows. Displaying them is like a wall of shame.....all the shows you've been to and not won anything!! :(
That's Funny!! You need crying babies leaning on the front of your car, maybe a bunch of them, that will help to distract the judges. My god, you are in GTO class, how many show up?? We only get 3 or so down here, so if I'm lucky I get the sympathy trophy...:cheers

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
That's Funny!! You need crying babies leaning on the front of your car, maybe a bunch of them, that will help to distract the judges. My god, you are in GTO class, how many show up?? We only get 3 or so down here, so if I'm lucky I get the sympathy trophy...:cheers
I seem to have the Rodney Dangerfield of Muscle Cars!! :/

I don't feel so bad though, the judges around here just don't know ****. A customer of mine bought and paid for perfection in a `70 Challenger with a 440 6 pack, shaker hood, pistol grip shifter, factory 4.10 gears, every single bolt was replaced in the rotisserie restoration, everything and I mean EVERYTHING is perfect right down to the paper tags on the brake lines and rubber stamp marks on the leaf springs. He showed the car for 4 years before he won anything at a show, so I don't feel so bad.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
I have to laugh.... I have seen concourse Pontiacs win gold at meets and at local shows they don't even place.

I tell people: If you want a trophy, if it means that much to you get a Camaro and fix it up. Rarely do I see anything other than a Camaro place in the top 2. A Chevelle will sneak in once in a while but if you really want awards bring a Camaro to the party. Its like most only know Camaros. Want an award bring a Red RS to a party.

I tell people.... After the show my fist stop is to the local trophy shop to pick up my best of show award. Because of what I saw one year:

I was at a show one year and you paid 1.00 for each vote to cast. I saw with my own eyes... a guy in a blue and white Opel purchase 12 tickets and place them in the can in front of his car. Guess who won? He was entered in the muscle car class... Then a few weeks ago I was at a show at the Hershey Medical Center I saw the same car..... Again 1.00 per vote all money benefited the Childrens Miracle Network.... A woman told me a guy purchased 40.00 worth of tickets and voted for himself. I left before the awards were announced as a storm was brewing....I'd bet it was the same guy.

Then there are shows were all the sponsors win awards one sponsor awards a trophy to another sponsor and as a thank you they return the favor... Then for $hits and giggles they award a few trophies to registered participants... more often than not its a Camaro.

A GTO is the wrong car to take to a local show if you are looking for an award most have no clue on it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I found that when a Club shows up - their cars win. They'll pick one of their member cars and load up the ballots. I know it happens because I won at an event where our Club...oh, nevermind.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
I've seen it happen too.

Thats why at our All Pontiac Show our club members park their cars together in a different part of the show field away from our guests. Our cars are not in the judged show. We are in a separate class by ourselves. Our guests will judge our cars not us.

The show is for our guests we put the show on for them. I will be picking this year the best concourse quality GTO in the show and none of our cars will be in it and a few of our members are Concourse Gold winners in POCI and GTOAA.

If it ain't fair don't do it.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I gave up on car shows, well thinking I'm going to win something. Most of them around here are who you know anyway and NObody knows about them. I still go to them just to hang out with friends and people still oooh and ahhh over the new GTO. I just did a two dayer car/bike show last weekend. Most of the same people won from last years show. I was the only new GTO showed up last year, this year three other friends showed up with me. Guess what, Dash Plaque went stright to the trash along with the other garbage people toss in your car for other events.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
When you go to a show do you count on and enjoy getting a dash plaque or not?? I haven't made a display for mine but do like to go through them from time to time just to see how many clubs are all really GONE..Let me know what you think!!....LES

I go to car shows to hang out with fellow "car guys." I really don't care what a judge thinks of my car and that's why I never enter it in competitions. It's what I think that matters. Just my two cents..........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts