Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some little something-or-other making an annoying little rattle when I go over bumps. Seems to be coming from directly behind the HVAC knobs or thereabouts.

In my mind's eye (or ear, I guess), it sounds like what would happen if you put a couple of washers on a threaded bolt and then didn't tighten the nut all the way down, leaving enough freeplay for the washers to shimmy.

I can't recreate the noise manually by tapping on anything. I actually have to be driving, and hit a bump. On smooth pavement, naturally, I almost never hear the sound. On cracked or older roads, though, it's like my dash has its own personal finger cymbals. If only I could find and tighten down whatever it is!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sometimes the origin of sound can be deceptive. There was a rattle in our GTO and I couldn't figure out exactly where it was coming from. It turned out to be the overhead light dome. Just a thought. Good luck.

·
Registered
910 Posts
GM Kid said:
I've got some little something-or-other making an annoying little rattle when I go over bumps. Seems to be coming from directly behind the HVAC knobs or thereabouts.

In my mind's eye (or ear, I guess), it sounds like what would happen if you put a couple of washers on a threaded bolt and then didn't tighten the nut all the way down, leaving enough freeplay for the washers to shimmy.

I can't recreate the noise manually by tapping on anything. I actually have to be driving, and hit a bump. On smooth pavement, naturally, I almost never hear the sound. On cracked or older roads, though, it's like my dash has its own personal finger cymbals. If only I could find and tighten down whatever it is!
Pop off the blank cover above the hvac and take a peek.

G

·
There have been a number of complaints having to do with the steering colum, and something rattleing against it. You may want to look in that area, i really doubt it is coming from behind the hvac controls, but anything is possible.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you just say "shmooking the wowweeee," Vedli?

Funny you should mention the keys. I have, in fact, had moments when I thought I'd detected a horrible dash rattle, only to realize it was my keys. That's always good for a sigh of relief. And a laugh.

Johnebegoode, how easily does that cover pop off? I don't want to have to ding it up by prying on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow

You're not crazy GM KID, I have the same exact rattle you described. Sounds like its coming from the middle of the dash, behind the controls. Only happens when you hit a bump. Only one "tap" occurs. Sounds like two metallic clips or washers smacking together. Can't find the source. And it is annoying.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.