Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am debating too spend 70 to 80 dollars on date coded wires from Ames. Any thoughts from you guys? Any one buy them and thought they where garbage? I enter the car in stock class in shows, so Yellow or Blue 15mm wires wont do:lol:

I was going to go to a 46s ac plug up from a 45s ac, any thoughts on this?

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I don't run date-coded wires, but everything I've purchased from AMES since 1984 has been of high quality. No Reason to run hotter plugs unless you're burning a lot of oil. They won't help performance and can hurt it in a healthy engine.
Jeff

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are fouled from lack of driving. start move out of garage, move back in. The 45s are harder to get. Pep boys claims the replacement now is a 46 heat range.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
That kind of operation is the worst kind for any engine. It washes and scores the cylinders, contaminates the engine oil, and causes rust,. acids, and sludge to form in the crankcase. It'll also rust out your exhaust system really quick. Better to push the car in and out of the garage! I would take it out on the freeway and drive it. That'll clean the plugs a bit. I would not put 46's in my GTO's, and I've been driving GTO's for 30 years.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, it normally is driven when it comes out, but it was in a body shop from May to 3 weeks ago for a nose job, so thye fouled the plugs from moving it around. I did get it to clear with some high rpm runs but after cooling it still back fires at idle, not major back fires just a miss. Thanxs for the input.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I'd put some new 45's in it and run it. It'll be fine. Glad to hear the driving pattern was a temporary one, and not yur regular routine!!! Have fun with it........
Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts