Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car cars build date is 2 0f 64 so for a numbers matching motor the date code would have to A or B --4. Could it be a late 63 date? Would the heads and intake have to be the same?

Thank you for the help

·
Registered
56 Posts
The date codes on the engine and transmission can be as close as 10 days prior to the build date of the car, or as far apart as 6-8 weeks prior, generally speaking. It would be absolutely possible for you to have a late '63 or A '64 date codes. The heads and intake codes should be close, but not necessarily the same day as the block. I have thoroughly checked and verified my car, my intake and block were cast one day apart, (4-1/2 weeks before the build date of the car), and the heads were cast two weeks later. My transmission was built one week before the car, (verified by the vin stamped into the case.) It all depends on when the parts were supplied to the assembly line. Matching the date codes on the castings wasn't a big concern as they grabbed whatever they had available. As long as everything was cast within a time frame, and built within a reasonable time frame to the car, you'll be in good shape.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts