Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 06 gto 2 months ago. Its spice red w/6 speed. Since day 1, the shifter had some play in it and it wasnt "rock hard solid" like many of my other cars were. Anyway, at about 5k miles, I noticed that it was getting harder for me to shift into 3'rd gear. I thought maybe I just wasnt pressing the clutch in all the way, so no big deal I thought. Well, shortly after that, at about 8k miles, when shifting into 3rd gear, it would grind really bad, and as of last week, 4th gear is doing it too. Now, to be honest, when I first got the car, I would have some fun with it, but no more fun that i've ever had with any other car i've had, and even at that point, I've NEVER had the problems that I'm having with this car, even on a 14 year old car. I went to the dealer, whom I will not name unless I dont get cooperation from, and when I went there, the tires were bald...i mean really bald. Well, the first thing out of his mouth was that the car was abused. That was it, it turned into a screaming match. From the symptoms, I can already guess its synchro's and probably the gear itself now, but I told him that if I sat there and roasted the tires off sitting still in one gear all the time, that isnt going to blow a synchro. I also said that if I wanted to set out to abuse the hell out of the tranny and shift it like there was no tomorrow, I could accomplish that without burning the tires at all. The honest to gods truth is that I ran it hard, but DID NOT abuse the transmission in the process. If they call running the rpms up and shifting when youre reving the rpm's up and in the process spinning the tires from a stop abuse and if they think thats why they're precious little tranny couldnt hold it, then what they built is a piece of trash. Theres no reason, with only 8k miles on a car, a tranny should be grinding gears and blowing synchro's out from just shifting at high rpm's. Not to mention that even if you wanted to shift really quick from gear to gear and bark the tires, you cant do it with these cars anyway because GM uses a dime a dozen shifter for it. And then the dealer tells me that theres no way it can be a defect because the tires are bald. They called GM and said that GM agreed to fix it "this one time". Heres my question. Does the warranty exclude repair if there is abuse? And secondly, does the dealer have to PROVE that it was abuse and not a defect? I even purchased the 100k gm extended warranty, and now I'm thinking that it was a waste of money. For that matter, I'm beginning to think that the original $32k was a waste of money, but thats already in the past. Lets say the rear differential blows or the motor blows, is the dealer or GM going to immidiatley going to get out of the repair by saying it was abused? I mean, its not like this is some 4 banger with 120 horsepower that I'm out beating the hell out of. This is a 6.0 liter V8 400 horsepower. What in gods name do they think people are going to do with this thing. Maybe if GM would start using high quality parts so that when you chirp your tires or occasionaly want to show off, it can take it, not blow out synchros, or rears, etc etc. I honestly thought that when I was in an insane mindset as I was signing myself into 6 years of debt and purchasing an extended warranty that I would have a worry free 100k on my car and not have to worry about fixing anything. I guess I was wrong. I could see if I ran it with no oil, or running it with no antifreeze, or something like that, but just driving it? Come on. And the tires were bald. Does that mean that thats the reason why the tranny is acting up? Trust me, I know how to abuse cars...u joints..rears, engines and trannys alike and thats not what I did with this car. Seems GM wants to sell the car but not service it. I am to the point where I wouldnt even reccomend anyone even BUY a GM car at this point, letalone a performance GM car. So, what should I do in this case? Is it the dealer just being A**holes, or is it really GM? I'm truly lost on what to do here. Its getting fixed at the dealer now, but they said that if they open up the tranny and find something else that GM wont cover it. And I said that since the synchro's are bad and the gears gring, what in hell do they think they were going to find?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sorry to hear your having those issues, at least they agreed to fix your problem.(although reluctantly) Hopefully it will not require too much time, or more problems than what you stated. I have an 06 manual my self, no problems and I have a blast driving this car. You dont have to drive the way you described to enjoy these cars.
So when you get it back, just tone it down a little bit.(Maybe alot) Only you know. :cheers

·
Registered
182 Posts
To be honest the reason why he may cry abuse is because of the obvious facts.
1. You've had an 06 for 2 months and the tires are BALD.
2. Driving a 2 month old car very hard may mean you didn't break in engine AND tranny properly.

However you are correct and GM should honor the warranty but you have to be a little easier on your NEW car until it's broken in.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Ok bro calm down... First of all GM didn't manufacture the tranny, Tremec did, so give them an ear full instead. Second, EIGHT THOUSAND MILES in TWO MONTHS?? Holy hell, I've only hit that mark now after a YEAR. If they determine that you've "raced" the car your warranty is void and it's at their discretion to do so. Read the fine print cause it's in there. After reading your tirade, grammar and punctuation not withstanding, I was asking myself: "How old is this guy and why the hell is he being so irresponsible???" I mean come on man, you said numerous times you've managed to burn off the rear tires in two months, you're obviously powershifting which will kill any trans in no time. There's no warranty on earth that's gonna cover that. The last thing I want to do is have to cut you out of your car because you were showing off!!

·
1/8 7.63 at 89.14, 60ft of 1.61
260 Posts
CrabhartLSX said:
You couldn't pay me enough to read that ****. The good lord has blessed us with pharagraphs, line breaks, and punctuation. Use them.
Hummm .... whats a pharagraph....[paragraph]?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Come on, I agree with him. I didn't by no 30,000 dollar 400 horsepower car so I could sit at the local coffee shop and talk about. Drive it like it's meant to be driven, and If it falls apart get it fixed. Oh, and next time take it to a different dealer.... Or call this number 1-800-222-1020. This is the direct number to GM/Pontiac HQ's. Let them know what the dealer is doing/saying..... Good Luck...

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Dragon 32 said:
Come on, I agree with him. I didn't by no 30,000 dollar 400 horsepower car so I could sit at the local coffee shop and talk about. Drive it like it's meant to be driven, and If it falls apart get it fixed. Oh, and next time take it to a different dealer.... Or call this number 1-800-222-1020. This is the direct number to GM/Pontiac HQ's. Let them know what the dealer is doing/saying..... Good Luck...
:agree

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
While I agree that a 400HP car should be able to roast the tires, you've brought some of this on yourself.

First, why are you driving with bald tires? The way it appears you're driving the car, you're fortunate you haven't been pulled over, and bald tires will be just one more charge they'll throw at you.

I actually feel kind of good that GM is going to stand by this for you. Brand new car, that many miles, and worn out tires in 2 months.

I think you've got a very frustrating and expensive future ahead of you with this, or any car.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I had a tranny in my 1998 Vette, that 6th gear went out in it at 19,000 miles. After they took it apart, they determined it was defective and replaced the tranny. I've got 8,800 miles on my GTO, but its an 04. My back tired are bald. I just rotated them Sunday. The tranny should be able to handle the power of the car. Its used in Vette's, Vipers, and others.

·
Registered
95 Posts
sutliffhl21 said:
what in hell do they think they were going to find?
They must have found something in their inspection that lead them to believe the vehicle was abused. I agree the vehicles should last under any driving condition. However, I cannot believe a dealership would refuse to fix something under warranty unless there was a valid reason. Was the vehicle modded at all?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Groucho on this forum had a bit of a problem with his transmission. I bought a BM short throw shifter that i did not install and sold because i didnt want to deal with customer service.

Fortunately my car is leased because in the total of over 25 years of driving manuals I have not crunched gears in normal driving as many times as i have in this GTO. talking to a GM dealer is usually just a waste of time, and customer service is a bigger waste of time.

I know trying to deal with customer service is a waste of time because I owned (stressing past tense) a 2001 aurora that had serious safety problems addressed in TSBs that the outsourced customer service dept would not address.

Take the fix, see how life treats you, and if it breaks again clean the car before you bring it to the dealer and pray. yes pray (i am not at all religious) because getting GM customer service to take care of a customer requires divine intervention. GM didnt get where they are today by pleasing their former customers.

·
Registered
188 Posts
sutliffhl21 said:
I bought an 06 gto 2 months ago.
sutliffhl21 said:
with only 8k miles on a car
sutliffhl21 said:
the tires were bald...i mean really bald.
If that's not a definition of abuse, I don't know what is! My Goat has about 7K miles on it after nearly a year of ownership. The lowest tread depth on any of the tires is about 7/32nds (started with 9).

And I don't pet the car either, but I can have plenty of fun with it without driving it in the manner that you seem to drive yours.

The Goat has never been back to the dealer because I've had absolutely no problems with it....I do oil changes, tire rotations and such myself.

Sounds as if one of these might be more appropriate for you....:(

·
Registered
305 Posts
CrabhartLSX said:
You couldn't pay me enough to read that ****. The good lord has blessed us with pharagraphs, line breaks, and punctuation. Use them.
Ditto.

But I did read it. A warranty, extended or otherwise, does not get you out of the responsibility of taking care of your car. This would include burning down a set of brand new tires in 2 months.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
ftlfirefighter said:
Ok bro calm down... First of all GM didn't manufacture the tranny, Tremec did, so give them an ear full instead. Second, EIGHT THOUSAND MILES in TWO MONTHS?? Holy hell, I've only hit that mark now after a YEAR. If they determine that you've "raced" the car your warranty is void and it's at their discretion to do so. Read the fine print cause it's in there. After reading your tirade, grammar and punctuation not withstanding, I was asking myself: "How old is this guy and why the hell is he being so irresponsible???" I mean come on man, you said numerous times you've managed to burn off the rear tires in two months, you're obviously powershifting which will kill any trans in no time. There's no warranty on earth that's gonna cover that. The last thing I want to do is have to cut you out of your car because you were showing off!!
:agree

·
Registered
172 Posts
Dragon 32 said:
I agree with you that these cars are meant to be driven and they LOVE to breath heavy, BUT you have to be smart about it. Its all about balance. You have to find a good balance between taking it easy(you have the wrong car for this.) and being abusive. I'm not saying he was abusive, only he knows the answer to that, however the situation he is in would seem to indicate possible abuse.

·
Registered
491 Posts
MeanGoat said:
Ditto.

But I did read it. A warranty, extended or otherwise, does not get you out of the responsibility of taking care of your car. This would include burning down a set of brand new tires in 2 months.
And I wonder what the clutch disc must look like. Maybe the dealer can defect it out; must be half worn out by now.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.