Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by the local Pontiac dealer today. They were having an offsite sale so their 1 GTO was gone. It is a Quicksilver A4. I asked about any new ones coming in in the next couple of months. They are getting a Torrid red and Yellow M6 in in June. I asked if they were going below invoice yet and the lady laughed at me saying "We have never had a GTO stay on the lot. They are all presold." I've read a few threads on how some of us have gotten 05's near invoice in the last month or two. Do you guys think they'll change their tune about August time when I am looking to buy? Or am I gonna get hit right in the wallet? :confused

Why pay $34k for an 05 when I can get a used 04 for near $20k. 90% of the car for only 60% of the price. BTW I am in Idaho where there arent a plethora of dealers to choose from.

·
Registered
61 Posts
NEW2GTO said:
Why pay $34k for an 05 when I can get a used 04 for near $20k. 90% of the car for only 60% of the price. BTW I am in Idaho where there arent a plethora of dealers to choose from.
It is hard to disagree with your statement. It all comes down to how badly you want the extra 50 hp and other upgrades. If it isn't a big deal to you, by all means buy the used '04.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
NEW2GTO said:
I stopped by the local Pontiac dealer today. They were having an offsite sale so their 1 GTO was gone. It is a Quicksilver A4. I asked about any new ones coming in in the next couple of months. They are getting a Torrid red and Yellow M6 in in June. I asked if they were going below invoice yet and the lady laughed at me saying "We have never had a GTO stay on the lot. They are all presold." I've read a few threads on how some of us have gotten 05's near invoice in the last month or two. Do you guys think they'll change their tune about August time when I am looking to buy? Or am I gonna get hit right in the wallet? :confused

It took me 15 minutes to get the dealer to agree to invoice.
05 Cyclone Gray M6 list price $33,690 paid $31,200. Discount approx $2,500.

I bought mine in March when there was still snow on the ground and showroom traffic was zero. I went in once to shop and walked out after discussing the car with salesman. No negotiating, just thanks for the info and goodbye. A week later I went back. They knew I was a serious buyer. That was about one week before month end and quarter end. I'm guessing that they were willing to deal in order to make some quota for quarterly GM bonuses that far outweighed the profit on a single car. At any rate, they tried the MSRP line. I told them if they would sell for invoice we have a deal. They took it. Total elapsed time approx 15 minutes to negotiate the deal. I took the GM 3.9% financing for 60 mo. No other discounts. Unfortunately I don't work for GM or their suppliers.

You may not have an easy time duplicating my deal. The US is headed into warm weather. Showroom traffic is heavy this time of year and cars like the GTO and Vette are most appealing in nice weather. Also, as the year progresses, the availability of these rather rare cars only gets worse. My advice would be to try the internet. If you can get a deal on the car you want in some remote area, fly in to pick it up and drive it home. Make a mini vacation out of it. The savings on the car could make the trip worthwhile.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the imput guys. I am planning to purchase in about 4-6 months. Its time to save some cash for it. I am hoping that buy Aug or Sept the prices will be down with the 06's looming. That sounds like when most of the 04's went down in price last year was in Sept.

I am used to performace so the 05 would be more fun for me. I've been blessed to grow up driving vettes, porsches and the like. Ebay has had some fair deals going on. Most reserves on the 05's are still above $30k anyway. Anyone have a good/bad experience buying off of Ebay with such a large purchase?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.