Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen alot of cars on here with no dealership stickers on their rear bumper and i'd like to take mine off my car. What's the trick? I heard using a hair dryer to soften the glue then peel it off. Will it hurt the paint? All help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wouldn't worry about hurting the car, just use common sense when taking it off, heat it up a little and peel it off, just watch out that you dig into it with your finger nail too much, and of course DONT use a razor blade. If there is any access glue, Goo Gone will take it off.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I made a stipulation when i purchased the car that under NO circumstances were they to place any advertising on my car apart from the license plate (which I changed to a stainless GTO plate soon after).

I also said it to another dealer when we purchased the G35 Coupe but the didn't listen and I made the salesman pick it off at time of pickup.

You could go back to the dealer and ask the guys there to take it off if your that concerned about the paintwork. It depends what they have used to stick it onto your car.
I wouldn't apply too much direct heat as this may dull the paint or even make it bubble.

·
Registered
316 Posts
90% of the stickers are vinal now so you can just pick them off with your finger nail, but you do want to be carefull as soft as the clear coats have gotten it is possible to mar the clearcoat with your finger nail. If it is anything other than vinal use a hair dryer and dental floss

·
Registered
195 Posts
The "dealer sticker" is the most ludicrous tradition ever. Neither of my two new car purchases were worthy of giving the people that just robbed me free advertisement. In fact, if anything the only type of dealer sticker I would condone would be one warning others not to do business with them. :rolleyes:

I think my GTO salesperson was insulted when I stressed that I didn't want their sticker. :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
I get a thrill of picking it off right in front of the salesman as soon as I take delivery. They invariably ask me why I do it and I tell them, "you ain't paying me to advertise. I'll keep it on if you take an additional $2000.00 off the price of the car." I even make them give me a plain Jane license plate bracket. They learn quickly. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Heat with a hair dryer or heat gun on low. Lift with your fingernail or nylon spatula. Goo Gone or P&S Remove All solvent for leftover adhesive. Wash thoroughly. Strip off any dealer applied wax, polish, then apply your own wax.

Anyone remember when dealers used to drill holes and put metal dealer advertisements on cars?

·
Registered
212 Posts
There are a couple of those old style plates that are kind of cool as there were some special cars made like the Baldwin Motion cars and some Dodges(Mr Norm?) as well.
I think Baldwin was out of Chicago.

·
Registered
316 Posts
One of the best things to use to clean all the crap off of your car is 3M's "GPAC" General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner. It will take any adhesive, tar or crap off of your car. You can get that any NAPA or Car Quest

The GPAC is perfictley clear coat save, however you still want to wipe the area off after cleaning.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I would bitchslap any dealer who attempted to deface my new car with their foul logo. It's bad enough to be forced to carry the distributor's Red Wedge logo around. :D

Seems to be a regional thing. Out here in Kali you don't see it. Where my parents live, in Oklahoma, it seems every car has a "brand" on it.

I would snap.

Take it back to the dealer and make them take it off. With their teeth.

Barring that, dental floss is a good way to get it off as well.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had a customer last week that just baught a 350Z and he told the dealer to pull the decal off the car. They send it back to the detail dept. to have it removed, a few minutes later they go back and these meatheads are taking the decal off with a razor blade. needless to say the guy was a little pissed off when he found that situation. Doing what I do I have found that alot of the guy's that work at the dealerships dont give a crap about the car's that they are working on because they dont make the payment on it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Goo Gone,,,at K-Mart,,Black&Decker stores,,maybe Walmart

I always get mine at the Black & Decker Outlet store as them have all size of bottles, and that stuff is really handy for Bumper stickers, price stickers,,you name it.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is an eraser pad that removes vinyl graphics and pinstriping. just chuck it up in a drill or die grinder. If memory serves, it can take up to 4000 rpm. The cost is about $12 - $13 but does a great job of removing dealer stickers and the adhesive residue. Just be sure to put a coat of wax over the place where the sticker was removed. For the average guy like me, I can do my car, my wifes car, all my neighbors, and all my friends with just one wheel. So if everyone just chips in a buck ..................

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.