Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped out the car last night for some warranty work. One of them was a shimmy in the steering wheel. They are replacing 3 wheels and tires, or so they say. Then he tells me they are being overnighted for tomorrow. If true, this has to be the first time I have read of a dealer going this far so soon in a repair of this type.

Other stuff is just common crap like the seat track and door alignment. Forgot to ask about the seat track because I was kinda stunned by the other. I figured rotate and a balance.

I don't trust dlrs as far as I can throw'em. So when I get it back I'll have to pull some wheels and check'em. The tires will be easier to tell.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
silvergoat05 said:
Dropped out the car last night for some warranty work. One of them was a shimmy in the steering wheel. They are replacing 3 wheels and tires, or so they say. Then he tells me they are being overnighted for tomorrow. If true, this has to be the first time I have read of a dealer going this far so soon in a repair of this type.

Other stuff is just common crap like the seat track and door alignment. Forgot to ask about the seat track because I was kinda stunned by the other. I figured rotate and a balance.

I don't trust dlrs as far as I can throw'em. So when I get it back I'll have to pull some wheels and check'em. The tires will be easier to tell.
Hi Silver... Some dealers are great, some are poor. My dealer has overnighted parts for me in the past. i.e. the SAP spoiler that came in, in the wrong color. The entire SAP that was past due. They had the kit driven in on a box truck specifically for a timely installation when the kit failed to ship and arrive on day X. With my wife's GT, some parts that were out of stock, they shipped over night. So, there are some good ones out there. I am lucky I have one of those good ones. I have read some of the nightmares guys on here are going thru and I am amazed how those service jocks keep their jobs.

I do get some misdiagnosed problems though, that makes me return the car more than once to have it corrected. The noise from my A/C has not been corrected even after a new fan blower, and refill of oils were done. Next step is a new compressor. But with all the high tech gizmos in cars these days, I can understand their not always getting it right the first time. I am somewhat patient about it, but I haven't lost me mibs YET.

I guess I am lucky too that I have not had any real issues like what you, and others described on here, other than the rear end whine. New heavier weight oil goes in on Monday to see if this corrects the problem.

If it were me having repeated dealer problems, I think I'd write your dealer, and the "old reliable" Customer Service center a letter, and tell them you will take it to a service center that WILL do the jobs correctly and bill your dealer for it. Have it on record. Perhaps this may shake them up, but I doubt it.

Sorry to hear of your aches, and pains with the Goat

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the words. At this point I don't feel like I have had many problems and certainly a lot bettr than some. After stopping by the dealer today and seeing my car sitting there in an empty bay and discussing with the wife my discussion w/the SW and hers, I think he's blowing smoke about the wheels and tires.

He told me they were being next day'ed in, he told her they were coming frm Tampa. I think because it is warranty work, they didn't do anything friday or today. I asked about the seat track and the SW stated the tech had felt it but isn't sure what to do about it. Well, we all know there is nothing they can do, other than replace the track.

What they don't know is I have been leaning over fenders for over 20 years. So they are not going to BS me. They'll try though. The first mistake I think, was to say it needed three wheels AND tires. I'm distrustful when it comes to dlrs and their work. I didn't mark the tires, but I did mark the wheels and seat track. I had expected at least a rotate and by marking them I could confirm it. And the seat track, I expected a No Problem Found, or " we had one in stock and replaced it" answer. We'll see.

·
Registered
674 Posts
they dont replace the seat track. the TSB has them install a nylon damper.

as for the shimmy, i had a bad one on the aurora that took five trips to the dealer two balances and alignments, two lower control arms, and when they were about to replace the tie rods they used the hunter 9700 road force balancer on the tires with about 24k miles on them and viola, shimmy almost gone.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the hot rod back today. They replaced the three wheels because paint was peeling, wtfe, i didn't see it. Road force balance declared three tires bad, so I got three new tires.

New seat track on order, eta (?)

Aligned the front door. Works slicker than snail snot.

Was back at dealership within fifteen minutes. Had to gas it up. Steering wheel still shimmy's at 61 MPH. Took shop foreman on test drive, he says " yep, it does" , no chit sherlock. He tells the service writer the steering wheel vibrates. They will consult with TAC and get back to me. Had to correct service writer twice and tell him it's not a vibration, it's shimmy.

Get to work and I see the first work order says vibration when I clearly wrote shimmy on the complaint form.

I know it's nice they replaced the wheels and tires and ordered the seat track and all, but if they don't have the correct complaint, how are they going to relay the info correctly to TAC. That's a rhetorical question.

In my new line of work, these dealers techs want to be paid for retesting the work after the repairs are made. But it would appear they just want to be paid.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Makin Copies

I learned a long time ago to ask for a copy of the service writer's form before I left the dealership. Every now and then it comes in handy.

You're right .... it all starts with the service tech getting the right information from the service writer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Dropped my goat off 3 days ago. Got the call again today... "We need to keep it another day".

I just wanted to fix:
1. E-brake not holding
2. seat track on both sides
3. driver window slow going up
4. rattle in shifter
5. driver door not lined up properly

Glad I got a beedah cah. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.