Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After looking at the models I had mentioned in my previous post, the wife and I have decided on the Magnum.

We drove an R/T with the 5.7 hemi. I like the room and versatility. It feels slow coming out of the GTO, but to be expected. Seems that they run low 14's, which is respectable.

The toughie is we also test drove a Magnum SRT8. Night and day different car than the R/T. The thing just moves, I honestly can't feel any SOTP differrence in power between it or our goat. I'd like to pull the trigger on it, but it's a little hard justifying the additional money. It's loaded to the hilt and so far the best deal I can find on one is 37K, which is about 7k more than the R/T we would want.

Runner up was the Impala SS. It kind of grew on me after initially not liking it, I took another one for a ride. Very nice car if you want a sporty sedan. Nice motor, and drivetrain. The FWD keeps turning me off though.

I will take the weekend to ponder. Ehh.... it's only money :)

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Get the SRT8....... it's only money..... :D
You'll be happier! It's hard to beat the SRT line up.... (I'm gonna get flammed for this....)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GTODEALER said:
Get the SRT8....... it's only money..... :D
You'll be happier! It's hard to beat the SRT line up.... (I'm gonna get flammed for this....)
You and me both but, pfffft to the flamers. I can't stand brand bigots anyway..they're all full of BS. I'd love to have a 425 hp easy low 13 second car to compliment the goat. I can honestly say it's an impressive car, minor things irk me a little, like no manual trans option, but every car has it's short comings. Honestly for a family car that can do all that 37k isn't really that bad at all. I may just do it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If I had a family, I'd take a serious look at the Magnum too.

Plenty of room but still fun to drive.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Before getting the C6, I was contemplating trading my pickup and the GTO for a SRT8 Magnum just so I didn't have to have two vehicles. I have a lot of respect for anything that has SRT on it. Chrysler has done as good as BMW/M and Mercedes/AMG. GM needs to take notice, and WTF is Ford thinking by killing SVT?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'll add another vote for "Get the Magnum". I've always liked station wagons (full size RWD ones, not those FWD mini-wagons that are shorter than the Goat). And a sexy looking, good sized RWD station wagon that has 425 hp to boot? I'd be on it if I were looking for an automatic (or didn't mind an automatic) and had that $$ to spend. And had room for another vehicle.. I can only have one though :)

From what you say this is for your wife, so what she wants comes into play. But if her reaction to the R/T was similar to yours--the disappointment may grow over time, and you may find yourself wondering why you got it.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
smokey said:
I can't stand brand bigots anyway..they're all full of BS.
Well, with a Magnum, at least you'll have room for your seeing eye dog in the back -- because anyone whose top two choices for a car are a Magnum and Impala has got to be blind.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
b_a_betterperson said:
Well, with a Magnum, at least you'll have room for your seeing eye dog in the back -- because anyone whose top two choices for a car are a Magnum and Impala has got to be blind.
Or, another more mature and civil approach might be something like...."Hey, I haven't heard anything good bad or otherwise on the Magnums. They're not my cup of tea, but good luck".

My other thoughts, I'll just keep to myself.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
smokey said:
Or, another more mature and civil approach might be something like...."Hey, I haven't heard anything good bad or otherwise on the Magnums. They're not my cup of tea, but good luck".

My other thoughts, I'll just keep to myself.:rolleyes:
Maturity is just another word for one step closer to death and civility leads to civil war.

Nah, BA was right. Anyone who could love the looks of a Magnum or an Impala has severe myopia!

Afraid to state your opinion? Have the Politically Correct Police in your gated community got you cowering in fear of expressing yourself? Good manners getting in the way of honesty?

Personally, I'll take highly opinionated honesty over the disingenuous babble of someone telling me what they think I want to hear!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wing_Nut said:
Maturity is just another word for one step closer to death and civility leads to civil war.

Nah, BA was right. Anyone who could love the looks of a Magnum or an Impala has severe myopia!

Afraid to state your opinion? Have the Politically Correct Police in your gated community got you cowering in fear of expressing yourself? Good manners getting in the way of honesty?

Personally, I'll take highly opinionated honesty over the disingenuous babble of someone telling me what they think I want to hear!
You and BA are entitled to your opinion. I have no trouble being honest, direct and civil all at the same time. Sorry to hear managing all three behaviors at once is too much of a struggle for the two of you.

I drive a GTO like you, so I suppose my severe myopia applies there as well?

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
smokey said:
You and BA are entitled to your opinion. I have no trouble being honest, direct and civil all at the same time. Sorry to hear managing all three behaviors at once is too much of a struggle for the two of you.

I drive a GTO like you, so I suppose my severe myopia applies there as well?
Not necessarily.

I drive one but I have no delusions about the beauty of this GM concoction of a Euro chassis, a NA drivetrain, and Aussie styling/assembly.

One of the reasons I bought it was looks (or lack thereof). The basic car ain't bad but Pontiackkk just couldn't let it out the door without some hood scoops and a plastic wing on the back end. The end result looks like a tarted up Cavalier, bloated Gran Prix, ________ enter the nondescript car of your choice. I just doesn't look like a fast car at first glance.

As a result, it doesn't attract attention like a Vette, Porsche, etc. Cops don't seem to notice it and neither does anyone else (thieves). Almost no one knows it even exists. I can live with that.

I bought the GTO for it's solid basic design and construction + value, not the looks. As for the Impala, bland front wheel drive GMNA throwback with a genuine plastic interior. But at least it's not offensively fugly like the Magnum (and that name, hee hee). I'm holding out for the Weatherby .458 Hollow Point Hot Load.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
smokey said:
Nah, you started with the name calling. You said you were getting rid of an Accord to get an American product. I tried to guide you to cars that would benefit American companies. Instead, you dissed my advice -- then went out, because of your sheer ignorance, and bought an ugly POS built in Canada by a German-owned company. Shame on you, traitor. Good day.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
b_a_betterperson said:
Nah, you started with the name calling. You said you were getting rid of an Accord to get an American product. I tried to guide you to cars that would benefit American companies. Instead, you dissed my advice -- then went out, because of your sheer ignorance, and bought an ugly POS built in Canada by a German-owned company. Shame on you, traitor. Good day.
A diatribe of personal insults and rants from you over what? Way to set the tone for board conduct there super moderator. B_A_ Please go back and read the posts again. I haven't done any name-calling. In fact when you were offended by my difference in your opinion I put on the "big boy" pants and acknowledged that I screwed up and failed to say thank you. In fact, it was the first line in my reply. As far as the rest, I simply disagree with your assessment that's all, and really what's the big deal or need to make direct and personal insults?

If you want to be persistantly obnoxious and petty about me not agreeing with you on how a D/C purchase does or does not benefit our economy that's fine, but it's become a waste of time to me and I'm sure the other forum members as well. I happen to be a little appreciative of the 1,000 jobs D/C just added to their Belvidere plant, which is just down the road from me. Please go explain to the hard working American people that work their that supporting the company that provides them with jobs is un-American and treason. As far as your remarks about me being ignorant, and my choice of family cars as being ugly and a POS, completely uncalled for. It's not just a matter of opinion any more, it's a thinly guised motive for just trying to get my goat (pardon the pun) and draw me further into a useless exchange.

This has gone well beyond dumb. Ignore button on, and I wish you all the best.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Im the least brand loyalperson you will ever meet so I say if your like it buy it.
Personally it looks like a cross between a checker cab and a scaled down dodge truck. fugly to the bone and then some.
But Im sure many dont like the way the GTO looks either so its all good.
different strokes for different folks.
:cool

·
Registered
491 Posts
smokey said:
After looking at the models I had mentioned in my previous post, the wife and I have decided on the Magnum.

We drove an R/T with the 5.7 hemi. I like the room and versatility. It feels slow coming out of the GTO, but to be expected. Seems that they run low 14's, which is respectable.

The toughie is we also test drove a Magnum SRT8. Night and day different car than the R/T. The thing just moves, I honestly can't feel any SOTP differrence in power between it or our goat. I'd like to pull the trigger on it, but it's a little hard justifying the additional money. It's loaded to the hilt and so far the best deal I can find on one is 37K, which is about 7k more than the R/T we would want.

Runner up was the Impala SS. It kind of grew on me after initially not liking it, I took another one for a ride. Very nice car if you want a sporty sedan. Nice motor, and drivetrain. The FWD keeps turning me off though.

I will take the weekend to ponder. Ehh.... it's only money :)

30K for the R/T sounds good...37K for the SRT8 looks even sweeter. :eek:

...and I'll be sure to keep in mind that your main needs are rwd and being roomy enough to function as the family car. I can't think of a better choice, at this moment.

Blessings,

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
:lol:

Quoted for Truth.

And the SRT-8s are hobbled by an intrusive launch system (automatic only- what a joke)...Never tried to take on a Magnum SRT-8, but a 300C SRT-8 has fallen to my '04.

And no matter how fast those hideous Chryslers get- you can't outrun ugly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.