Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all....newbie around here. I'm thinking seriously about getting a GTO in the near future. Its pretty hard to satisfy me when it comes to a car (always wanting RWD and manual, etc) but the GTO is looking like what I want to go with. I'm wondering the big (and little) differences between the '04, '05, and '06...besides of course the hood and the engine....and crappy struts....
Any input? The '04 is tempting since I could get one for under 20k, but that '05 hood is just so much sexier. What will I love and hate on each?
Thanks guys!
Jill

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm not sure on all the particulars, but I know they made a few little improvements on the '06 model over the previous years. Things like the electric door lock button, steering wheel controls lit at night, an ashtray with another power outlet under the radio, etc. The strut problem is a consideration, but the way I look at it is that they will have replacement struts here very soon now and it will only take a few hours to replace them once they get their hands on some. I'm hoping they will do a recall when the replacements get here. That would make it easier on everyone. Good luck!:)

·
Registered
344 Posts
There is a lot to be said for the subtle class of an 04 with no scoops no spoiler hidden exhaust and wild set of tires and wheels! I have and 05 new but looking for 04 Barbados blue A4 to mod that’s my favorite now. 04 05 06 in good shape all AWSOME!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Its a combination of
1.what you like
2.what you can afford
3. what you plan to do with it

I bought an 04 because at the time (1.5 years ago)
it was $12k cheaper than a new one..
I can do a lot with 12k,I dont like the old school twin nostril hood and could care less about the little tweaks they did inside... For under $2k its faster than any stock 05-06 and I still have another $10k to go before I get to what a new one cost.
But not everyone is goona go that route,if you plan on leaving it close to stock then an 05-06 would probably be better in the long run.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Its a combination of
1.what you like
2.what you can afford
3. what you plan to do with it

I bought an 04 because at the time (1.5 years ago)
it was $12k cheaper than a new one..
I can do a lot with 12k,I dont like the old school twin nostril hood and could care less about the little tweaks they did inside... For under $2k its faster than any stock 05-06 and I still have another $10k to go before I get to what a new one cost.
But not everyone is goona go that route,if you plan on leaving it close to stock then an 05-06 would probably be better in the long run.
:agree

I just bought on 04' about a week ago. Test drove an 05' and it was about 6K more than the 04' and I honestly couldn't tell the difference driving the car. They are both beasts. I'm planning on getting a different hood anyways. Go test drive...that will make your mind up. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
differences

My buddy from high school works at the gm dealership and said there are only 4 differences between an '05 and an '06: 1 - steering wheel radio/cd controls, 2 - cigarette lighter socket (dc outlet) in the armrest console for cell phones etc, 3 - power seats have faster motors in '06 for passengers to enter/exit the back, 4 - '06 has blackened plastic tail lights. i have an '06 A4, only gto i've been in, so can't verify those specs but have no reason to not believe them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.