Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here goes...I have the dreaded whine...I have a great extendo warranty so the dealer can kiss my hairy white ass, don't gotta use em. Now my ASE shop and warranty say ok to replace with Pontiac parts. So if I replace with 3:91 gears and all new guts I should not have the whine come back right???

·
Registered
222 Posts
Have you tryed just replacing the Diff fluid , sometimes that can help. I don't think you can get parts to replace the pinion bearing from Pontiac , that's why they are replacing the whole pumpkin. I want to say all replacement Diff parts also come from OZ. The gear ratio has nothing to do with the whine , if any gears are not set correctly they too will wear improperly and develop the dreaded whine. If you replace the complete Diff (say Kaaz) with 3.91's for $2000
then you may not have the Dana Whine , but from what I have read the Kaaz is not totally noise free - its just a much better LSD and 3.91's really add to SEG's. Hope that helps and Good Luck...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Also keep in mind that the diff is bolted to the chassis of the car, not hanging on springs. With a solid mount, some transition of noise is to be expected, just not too extreme. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts