Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Hurst shifter used with a console, vs. one used without a console? I am restoring a '65 GTO, converting from automatic to Muncie 4-speed. I am putting in a console and will need a shifter that is compatible with the console. Any info would be a great help. thanks!

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
The only STICK variations I'm aware of relate to seats. Bench Vs Bucket.
The difference for Console cars Versus Non-Console is the Boot and Retainer.
This^^^. A correct '65 GTO shifter is a fairly straight and tall unit, and is designed (and used) for both applications. Only a rare bench car with no console has a different more aggressively curved shifter.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Since we're on the subject, my '65 4speed built w/o a console. I'm looking to add a console and see on ebay two types of the GM shifter tunnel pan (that screws to the hump). Pictures are attached of the two styles. The one in my car is the type with the smaller round hole. If i'm going console, do i need the other style that has more opening room, or does it not make a difference? Thanks for any input.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Thanks for the pics and the ebay link. I'm guessing then that the tunnel pictured is the same for a non-console car. Thanks again.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
The shifter porch on the right with the small hole is a Pontiac-type part. The one with the big hole on the right is not part of any Pontiac I've ever seen. Not even close.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
The shifter porch on the right with the small hole is a Pontiac-type part. The one with the big hole on the right is not part of any Pontiac I've ever seen. Not even close.
Thanks for your input. I kinda figured the round hole might be the correct one. The other oblong one was on the ebay and stated it also was for a '65 goat. Always best to ask! Thanks again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If anyone is interested i have a muncie 4 tranmission low mile never been apart with bell housing, clutch and pressure plate, shifter all of it out of my early 66 GTO. Pricey but great virgin parts with correct numbers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts