Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My O6 M6 has had a slight and I mean slight rear axle whine, most pronounced at 48-52mph. GM has a TSB out on this. Car just turned 3000 miles, and has the original oil in the pumpkin. Took it to the dealer at lunch Thursday, told them about the TSB. The service writer got in the car with me and we went for a ride. He heard the noise, pulled the TSB when we got back to the service dept. Apoligized like all get out for the trouble, and they have ordered a new unit for me just like that. From the sounds of the TSB, Dana wants to do an engineering analysis on the noisy units. No repairs or other remediation, just direct replacment and return.

This problem has likely been posted elsewhere, sorry if so and if true, perhaps the moderator would be a dear and move this post to the correct place.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So sorry, did find the thread, and it looks like a common and recurring issue. Hope not..........:eek:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GTO judge said:
The whine will end with a replacement, unless of course Dana shipped a bad one.... Nice to know your dealer didn't jerk you around... There are still some good ones out there.
My dealer has been great. No pushy pushy. Heres the car, what are you willing to pay. Made an offer that was finally accepted at the end of the monthy:cheers , then they threw in the 0% on top. Super deal. The service dept has been great on this one occasion. Car was delivered in pefect unmolested condition, with very little dealer prep at my request. Motor City GMC in Btown. Supposedly the largest dealer of its type in the Nation. They sell a LOT of trucks! GTO's are a little odd to them (service) at this point, but they still have several in stock. Nice guys over there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Had mine replaced too. Don't be surprised if you still have a slight whine with the new unit. Mine was decreased but can still hear it 45-55 under light accelleration and decel. Replaced at 2800mi. have 8200mi now with no increase in noise. I changed oil after 500 miles and again at 1500 since install. I think it is a good idea to change the oil as these gears do generate some very fine metallic particles during breakin.:cheers

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cat1055man said:
Had mine replaced too. Don't be surprised if you still have a slight whine with the new unit. Mine was decreased but can still hear it 45-55 under light accelleration and decel. Replaced at 2800mi. have 8200mi now with no increase in noise. I changed oil after 500 miles and again at 1500 since install. I think it is a good idea to change the oil as these gears do generate some very fine metallic particles during breakin.:cheers
I agree and will do so. Do you or anyone else find it to be a bit odd that the service schedule does not call out a diff fluid change? Every other vehicle I have ever owned with a clutch type LS dif calls out a service interval. Not so the GTO. Seems a little weird.:willy: Maybe I should change the oil and leave my old one installed! I really hate to have it changed by the dealer mechanics. WAY SCARY

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the whine at 48-52 as well, not very pronounced, but it is there, and in 5th gear. I have just changed the oil, and unless the diff grenades in hot oily pieces, the factory diff stays in the car.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Anyone know the cost to replace the rear end unit? With all the mods I have in place I doubt they're going to be receptive to warranty coverage.......I might be wrong though, dealer has been pretty good but ownership just changed recently and you never know when new owners step in.

JET

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
My new rear has NO whine at all. Quiet as can be. (knock on wood)

Incidentally, my dealer is tops. Red carpet treatment. Can't say enough good things about them. Guess it helps being a repeat customer too.

Your credit rating may dictate how well you are treated. Example: While shopping for a car for my youngest son, I came across a new 06 Cobalt. Negotiated a real good deal with a dealer. The offer at this dealership gave the best deal after shopping at about 6 different Chevy dealers. This dealer is also a Pontiac dealer that did not come close to giving me an acceptable offer when I was shopping for my GTO (no credit check was done at that time)... Anyway.....I co-signed a loan for my son..... Upon doing a credit check and discovering my credit rating cannot be higher, the red carpet rolled out. Not that we were treated bad before that because we were treated fine, but after a credit check was done, I was approached and told anything we want, it's ours. We got much more attention after the credit check than before the credit check.

I believe all potential customers should be treated with the utmost... but they are not and the reality is, and in this example, it indicates.... if the dealer investigates who they are dealing with, their attitude towards that customer becomes more sensitive and they are more inclined to go the extra mile towards that customer than that of one who has poor or moderate credit.

My son wanted an orange Cobalt. None were in the area. After a deal was struck, the dealer found one 85 miles away went and got it and drove it back, to make the sale. Before the deal was struck, when I inquired of the availability of the color, I was told the dealership only dealt with a certain few other dealerships when doing dealer trades..No orange ones were in the trade area, and my son was settling for choice # 2 .... Needless to say, they went the extra mile for a 14K car and got him what he wanted. That would not have happened otherwise.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I am finally getting my new diff on Monday. Took it in a week ago last Friday, made the 3rd complaint about the whining and brought along the print out of the TSB for "DANA ENGINEERING". They ordered it, called me Wednesday and said it was in. I'll be driving the loaner to work Monday.

·
Registered
13 Posts
J.E.T.
Took my car in locally for the "whine" and a/c compressor making noise and they said everything was normal:eek:
That was Kaiser Pontiac. Drove to Orlando to Carl Black GMC and they replaced the rear end and the a/c compressor no problems.
Give them a shot.

Jeff

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
J.E.T. said:
Anyone know the cost to replace the rear end unit? With all the mods I have in place I doubt they're going to be receptive to warranty coverage.......I might be wrong though, dealer has been pretty good but ownership just changed recently and you never know when new owners step in.

JET
Dealer service advisor told me that the part was 4K OUCH

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
bg2m8o said:
Dealer service advisor told me that the part was 4K OUCH
GM will back charge Dana. Dana will have to make good on the part to GM. I worked for Dana... What happens is....The parts will be shipped back to the Dana plant from where it was assembled. I will be taken apart and inspected, it then will be written up and the entire assy will be destroyed so no one can get the parts and sell bit and pieces of it off. It then will be sold as scrap. This is standard procedure.

Dana is in bankruptcy... Their stocks that were once trading for over 71 dollars a share even after stock splits...plummeted to 62 cents a share before NASDAQ suspended their trading. Dana's leadership is petitioning the courts to have them receive their 1.6 million dollar bonuses and more... if they pull out of bankruptcy. This has retirees storming mad because Dana is trying to cut their medical benefits... It is a legal quagmire... If they do not get out of bankruptsy, their assets will be sold. If it is sold I do not know what will happen to claims for parts such as rear ends.. This has been going on now for some time... IMO if anyone has a rear with a whine... it may be in your best interest to get this corrected just in case Dana is absolved of their liabilities through the courts. I am sure GM would have to make good on the parts possibly from Eaton or other competitors but if it were me, I'd get this taken care of ASAP.

·
Registered
304 Posts
GNSS said:
J.E.T.
Took my car in locally for the "whine" and a/c compressor making noise and they said everything was normal:eek:
That was Kaiser Pontiac. Drove to Orlando to Carl Black GMC and they replaced the rear end and the a/c compressor no problems.
Give them a shot.

Jeff
They're the ones who bought out McNamara Pontiac, the place where I bought the car. I haven't been to the new facility yet but do know the guys from McNamara and I assume they all moved over to the new dealership. Guess we'll see how they are, not holding my breath though.

JET

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dealer called yesterday and the new pumpkin is finally in. They want the car on Tuesday and Wednesday. I will post after they complete the swap and let you all know what the experience was like and if the whine (and clunk) are gone.

·
Registered
937 Posts
My diff was installed in 1 day. Took them 3 days to fix the horn, so I drove around a Torrent from Mon to Wed night. Wouldnt buy one of those myself, whats up with the entire dash bleeding all over the place at night? Terrible. Anyway, I am very happy with the new diff. Quiet, perfectly quiet now. The best part though is all of the slop in my drivetrain is now gone. Its amazing. The whole driveline is perfectly tight, all the clunking at low speed shifts are gone and the play between decel and accel is gone. Very satisfied with the results of the swap. Just wish they wouldnt have told me the noises were normal for the past 15,000 miles. THIS is normal.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad to hear it! The driveline slop I was reluctantly willing to accept. The whine not a chance. Hope my experience is a good as yours was.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Differential whine

I had mine replaced in my 04 and this one still has a slight whine on acceleration. The old one whined when I let off of it. I haven't been back to see if they are going to do anything more. Not driving it much since they tore up my road.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts