Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here's the problem...

I've got two beautiful, female yellow labs that I love to death. The 2.5 year old, Kasey, is full blood. The 1.5 year old, Kota, is part heeler mix but looks just like a full blood lab. My wife and I are building a house in a neighborhood that doesn't allow for much of a yard. I know the labs will be miserable at the new house because they love to run around and play in the pool. I love the dogs, but it seems wrong of me to completely cut off their fun time except for a few walks. I'm considering giving them up to a good home, but I don't want to do that and regret it. Any advice or people willing to adopt them? They're both fixed and are up to date on all shots and get monthly heartworm treatments. They've got a fair amount of training. They know the basics and are really good about retrieving something from the water and bringing it back. Very loving dogs, awesome with our young nieces and nephews, great with the other animals in the house (small dachsund and cat). They're free to a good home, the one stipulation being that I get to come by and see them at least every other month. I'm at a loss. I love 'em to death, but I feel horrible subjecting them to a 15 square foot back yard or a cage for the majority of the time. Here's some pics of 'em...

Kasey (2.5 year old full blood)

Kota (1.5 year old lab/heeler mix)

·
Registered
63 Posts
They will be more miserable without the owner they love and trust. Besides you can't trust somebody else to take care of them the way they should be. They are very pretty dogs and look happy right where they are.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Give them a shot at the small yard first. If there's a way to give them access to the garage during the day -- by all means do so with a dog door of some kind. You'd be surprised. With enough chew toys and stuff, and a good walk every evening -- they'd be fine. Train them to catch a Frisbee -- that way you can tire them out via wind sprints without having to run around too much yourself.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I ran into the same problem moving from North Carolina to Northern Virginia. We went from living in a house to an apartment up on the fourth floor. We knew it wasn't going to be the best for our dog, 1.5 year old black lab, but we couldn't give her up. At least we take her for walks and she has plenty of chew toys. She's a happy dog, so your dogs should be fine too.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Is there a Korean resturant around? :rofl: Sorry,had to. Don't give them up, if you give them attention they dont care if they are in a box...
I would not even consider building something like that that would cut my yard down for the doggies...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Chinese restaurant a couple blocks over already offered to take them. "We make-ah dem comfotable! Giv dem niiice soft bed of lice (rice)!"

I went home and played with them last night. I couldn't believe I even considered giving them up. I'll see how they adapt to their new digs in about a month.

·
Registered
2 Posts
naw man you shouldn't give them up, they love you and your family. As long as you can continue to spend time with them they wouldn't care where the stay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't care if my yard is a small strip of grass, I wouldn't ever give up my dogs (1 yr old black lab, 6 month old Shepard/Husky and 3 yr old Pom/Sheltie).

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The fact that you have 2 is a plus. They will amuse each other.

There's a lot of people that will throw a couple of dogs in a pen, or tie them up, and the only attention they get is being fed and/or cussed at to "shut the hell up". I don't understand that kind of thinking.

I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Here's my gal Pepper...

No way could I give her up. I'd give it a chance first...our neighbors had happy labs with a small back yard. Walks are good, and get things you can roll across the yard for them to chase if you have fences. If you can, find a park to take them out for retrieves on weekends.

You might also want to consider family, friends, or a service to walk her if you feel guilty, but we crate our lab all day while we're at work, and she's fine. On the days that I'm at home and she would have been crated, she pretty much just crashes out.

Good luck...tough decision, and I know where you're coming from. I never got a lab until we moved where we are now and have a couple acres.

Gerry

·
Registered
79 Posts
Your "pals" will do just fine without a big yard or a lake/pool for swimming.
I have a Golden Retriever and a shepherd-mix and both do fine in the typical suburban yard. You're struggling with the issue now, but I know you would have a very difficult time should you choose to find a new home for them. I'd stick it out, enjoy the dogs and have fun with some new routines.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a lifelong experience with dogs. Once they are attached to you they keep their loyalty and will miss you to death. Giving them up for the reasons yous state is cruel. Do not give them up. They will be very happy coming along with you to the new house. You all will have to adapt.

Many years ago my father had a Spanish Mastiff who was always by his side keeping the guard. Trained dog with a retired old man. When my father passed away the dog stayed under his bed and would not eat nor come out. Fierce as he always was there was no way to get him out of there. He eventually died out of sadness. Dogs do have feelings. You cannot discard a dog no more tahn you cann discard your children.

When I was a child a got a female cross breed for a pet. For some reason my mother had her relocated to a distand relative's farm. over a year went by and one day as I was coming out the Barber Shop at my street street corner there she was waiting for me wagging her tail with about 12 other stray dogs behind her as she was in heat. We both walkked home a few steps away and she went inside as usual. Months later I she had her first litter of pups. That dog escaped to find her long way back home and finf=d it she did. Not only did she find our house but she found me directly first.

Do not do this to your dogs. Your explanation above amounts to nothing more than a philosophical consolation to self excuse yourself in doing something you deeply inside of you know you should not do. Pet dogs family literally. As far as they are concerned your familiy is the pack. Getting separaed from the pack is the worst that could happen to a canine. This feeling is deeply genetically rooted deep, deep down in the inner sanctum of their mind and self preservation instincts. You can give trhem away to a so called nice loving family who loves pets. The dog will adapt but that foes not hold water for them. There is no such thing as a nice pet loving family for them, because for them therte is and there always be one and only one pack, forever and ever and ever. There wilbe llong days and lonely nights looking up at the stars with the saddest look in their eyes. Some even howl up to the empty space above always listening for that call or signal from the lost pack.

For many years I was a dog breader and trainer as a long family hobby tradition carried over from the past. I know perfectly what I am telling you. I know too well. I had this German Short Haired Pointer trained for hunting and she lived among ouir Mastiffs, which are no good for hunting feather. This Big Game Empreasario and personal friend fell in love with my swift and well behaved pointer. At that time in my life I had to go abroad foe some years and I gave in to his continous requests and parted gave him the bitch. The Pointer bacame the family pet and she would go with him to his office where she would lay berside him all the time. They became so close that he could tell that she could tell by her instincts if the person coming to his office was really friend or foe. Guy is so rich that the pointer was like a princess. He was always talking about her and she went with him almost everywhere. One day, first time she had she escaped to the street and was run over by a car. I have no doubt in my mind that in her mind she was looking for the way back home.

Dogs care not about riches and high roller palaces nor special custom places in Big Time Corporate offices, nor nice pet loving families. They do not care about dog groomers. They care for what they are bred for and the pack. In this last case the pointer would have been perfectly happy by the woods staking a prey not caring about rain nor thorns, nor bushes. Hunting and keeping close to the pack is her only concerns. People often forget that and choose the wrong kind of pet and then they have to dump them. That is cruel. When I saw the 101 Dalmatians trailers I knew we were in for trouble. Thousands of Dalmatians were in demand all over the place lioke that latest Nintendo Game. Many tousands ended up in pet shelters or just simply dumped next town over.

After yiou read this go back to your dogs give them a big primate hug to your canine friend and tell him you both will survive together. Survival of the pack is the bottom line, my friend.

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
adearmas2 said:
I have a lifelong experience with dogs. Once they are attached to you they keep their loyalty and will miss you to death. Giving them up for the reasons yous tate is cruel. Do not give them up. They will be very happy coming along with you to the new house. You all will have to adapt.

Many years ago my father had a Spanish Mastiff who was always by his side keeping the guard. Trained dog with a retired old man. When my father passed away the dog stayed under his bed and would not eat nor come out. Fierce as he always was there was no way to get him out of there. He eventually died out of sadness. Dogs do have feelings. You cannot discard a dog no more tahn you cann discard your children.
:agree

·
Registered
388 Posts
adearmas2 said:
After yiou read this go back to your dogs give them a big primate hug to your canine friend and tell him you both will survive together. Survival of the pack is the bottom line, my friend.
:agree Well stated.

And I'm going to go up and give Pepper a big hug too ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts