Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking in on the forum and came across a post that looked like was one of mine. Upon further checking it was posted by another member using the same basic user name as mine. I originally had noticed that the format was identical to mine, with one exception; a letter was missing; old-goat vs mine; olde-goat. I registered in 2009, other member joined in 2011. Checking in with a moderator there is not much that can be done in this type of situation. It looks like the system is not smart enough to pick up on subtle differences and I guess you can register a user name by just taking someone’s user name and just adding or deleting a letter and you are good to go… I have traded PMs with a number of other forum members over the years and exchanged contact information etc and just want to make all aware to make sure to read the user name carefully. Unfortunate as it is with all the issues going on the internet; identity theft, scamming etc you cannot be too careful.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
What's the problem? Sounds to me like you are over reacting. Most likely the other member wasn't even aware of your screen name when he joined. It's just an internet screen name; not an identity. I've seen both Old Goat 66 and Old Goat 67 as screen names that are also somewhat similar both to each other and to yours and the other one you mention. It's really just coincidence or 'luck of the draw'.

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
I was checking in on the forum and came across a post that looked like was one of mine. Upon further checking it was posted by another member using the same basic user name as mine. I originally had noticed that the format was identical to mine, with one exception; a letter was missing; old-goat vs mine; olde-goat. I registered in 2009, other member joined in 2011. Checking in with a moderator there is not much that can be done in this type of situation. It looks like the system is not smart enough to pick up on subtle differences and I guess you can register a user name by just taking someone’s user name and just adding or deleting a letter and you are good to go… I have traded PMs with a number of other forum members over the years and exchanged contact information etc and just want to make all aware to make sure to read the user name carefully. Unfortunate as it is with all the issues going on the internet; identity theft, scamming etc you cannot be too careful.
There are 34 other members using a variation of old goat in their user names, I would suggest adding an image to your signature and/or avatar, then no one will ever mistake you for the other old goat(s).

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Old goat.....so original, I can't believe you've been scammed. Better change your pin # too if it's 1234....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Old goat.....so original, I can't believe you've been scammed. Better change your pin # too if it's 1234....:rolleyes:
LOL
I was thinking the same thing.

You are on a GTO forum and you have the word "goat" in your name. Pretty sure there are lots of variations of a username with GOAT included.

Bet there's a "young-goat" out there somewhere.

·
Registered
71 Posts
How do you add the pic of your car so it shows up whenever you post? I have pics on here but they only show if you click on them!

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
How do you add the pic of your car so it shows up whenever you post? I have pics on here but they only show if you click on them!
At the top of the page click "User CP" then on the left of the next page click either "Edit Avatar" or "Edit Signature" add your pictures or info there then click "Save".

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
Change your username to "Goat Lover". Then use a picture of your GTO as your avatar. Depending on where you're from, you can use a picture of a billy goat if you make love... I mean... love them as well. :D
This avatar is available, there are a few others that may not be appropriate for a family forum.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
This thread has oulived it's usefulness.......if it ever had any to begin with.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
See post #16:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts