Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Displacement on Demand cause uneven engine wear ?

I am no expert but in theroy i think it would.

On a personal side note this is my 100 thread/post!!!:party:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah, we just got finished with a trip down to North Carolina (about a 310 mile trip to where we went) and we had to fill up again before we got there. If we did have the displacement, it'd be nice, but I say it's worth it in a way because the GTO's so much fun to drive. It's my every day amusement park ride.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My Daily Driver Is A Gp Gxp With Dod (enough Letters?)

The Dod Is Not Even Slightly Perceptible. No Lag, No Stumble And I Get Close To 30mpg On The Hiway.

When I Hit The Gas, It Takes Off Instantly Like A Rocket. I Am Sure All Of Gm's V-8 Equipped Cars Will Get It Eventually.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
lotaguts said:
I wish we could convert our goats to DOD wondering if in the future someone will do it.
Doubtful, given they're not making them anymore!

I have no idea what's involved in the programming or engine setup for DOD, but my guess is the LS2 won't have it. They're putting these engines in Vette's and GTO's. People that normally buy these cars are more concerned with performance than economy.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
LS2 does not have DOD in the C6 or the CTS-V. No plans for it in 2007 either. 2008 is when the new LS3 should be available. It will have DOD and 6.2 liters with 450-475 hp. From what I have heard the Z06 will get a new engine also that will be called the LS9. It will have around 600 hp and there will be a supercharged version with even more power.

To answer the question, no DOD doesn't cause un-even engine wear. The computer alternates periodically which cylinders are deactivated to maintain an efficient operating temperature.

·
Registered
25 Posts
fergyflyer said:
LS2 does not have DOD in the C6 or the CTS-V. No plans for it in 2007 either. 2008 is when the new LS3 should be available. It will have DOD and 6.2 liters with 450-475 hp. From what I have heard the Z06 will get a new engine also that will be called the LS9. It will have around 600 hp and there will be a supercharged version with even more power.

To answer the question, no DOD doesn't cause un-even engine wear. The computer alternates periodically which cylinders are deactivated to maintain an efficient operating temperature.
From my understanding of the DOD system the computer locks the exhaust valves shut and then intake valves to 4 of 8 cylinders. As one compresses gas, it is offset by another expanding. If it were to change while in DOD mode, it would probably cause some problems because of the lack of equalization then. I don't know if every cylinder is equiped with the valve solenoids that make this possible either.

I'd love this to be retrofit to our cars, but I'm afraid that computer upgrades would then be out of the question.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.