Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please see above thread on how to remove dash. Once the entire dash is disassembled, follow the steps below for aux in install.

Parts needed.....

1. RCA - Mini cable 6 ft.
2. Round or any rocker switch
3. Electrical Tape
4. Duct or Carton tape
5. Razor blade/ xacto knive
6. Solder
7. Soldering Gun/stick
8. Unibit (large)
9. Drill

To begin... pull radio harness out. It should like like ....

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take your RCA-Mini cable, and cut the RCA end... "NOT" the mini end/headphone 3.5mm jack.

Strip the wires, left and right will have a negative/ground wire wrapped around another shielded wire in a colored loom. The shielded is your positive.

Twist the two negtive/ground wires together, making one lead approx. 1 inch long.

Also twist the two Positive wires together so that you end up with a stripped wire lead of approx .5 inches.

In the pic... I'm showing the end you shoul've cut off.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Connect positive leads to the AF+ line of the radio. It's the Blue/Black wire. Solder and tape these.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Solder Negative leads to the AF- Line... or Solid blue line

Tape up all the negative wiring, also wrapping the previously taped positive leads with the same tape strip.

Again... if you see the RCA end on the end of your line... as in the pic... YOU DID IT WRONG!!! I used a female RCA lead, and then connected a male RCA-Mini cable.... hence the RCA in all the pic's.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pull ashtray. It's held in by 3 screws at the 9, 12, and 3 o'clock positions.

Disconnect the Cig-light plug located in the passenger side, under the radio. It's a white plug.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drill a hole in the Shifter panel for the rocker switch, and one for the Mini jack.

Now solder two wire leads to the rocker switch. Use a multimeter/ground meter to test the wire leads and ensure that you did it right. You should get continuity/nothing when switching on/off

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To fit the panel back in the car, you must cut an a/c vent. A notch must be made to accomodate the new switch.

After the cut, place tape or other covering/molding over the hole, allowing for clearance of the new rocker switch.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Locate negative (black/White), and Tel Mute (yellow/black) wires on harness, and strip a small section.

Install shifter panel and pull wires through to the radio end, as well as run the RCA cable.

Now solder and tape the two leads from the rocker switch... one to the Tel mute, and the other to the Ground. It won't matter which goes where, only that they're separate.

Test the switch, by connecting harness to radio. When flipping the switch you should get a voice-in message

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a quick video for those who didn't believe it could be done.... Scosche, Metra, Peripheral, Pontiac, GM, Blaupunkt, PIE...etc.... choke on this!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only hitch is that since the radio is fooled into believing it's making a phone call, it won't turn off when the switch is on ... lol. Also, "Mode" is disabled when in Aux mode.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finished Pic's

Some pic's of what it looks like when done. You can't see the switch, or cable hole, unless you drop into the footwell looking for it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also.... anyone in the area that would like this done and needs help, come one by. I work from home, and would be more than willing to help out. If you're really nice, I might even do it for you. I "don't" take cash, credit, check or other monetary compensation, though beer and pizza are always welcome.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No problem... :lol: Life's all about learning!

It's an auxilliary input. You can now play any audio source....i.e. iPod, mp3 player, portable dvd, phone, etc.... through your factory stereo.

Watch the vid in the previous post. It'll show you how it works.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Gotcha...Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense now…:D

No problem... :lol: Life's all about learning!

It's an auxilliary input. You can now play any audio source....i.e. iPod, mp3 player, portable dvd, phone, etc.... through your factory stereo.

Watch the vid in the previous post. It'll show you how it works.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes sir!!! The unfortunate side effect of using the telephone input is that is in mono, though with some ipod recordings having vocals on one side, instrumentals on another, it ends up working out quite nicely. One odd thing is that the volume for the voice-in mode is independent of the rest of the stereo.

Let's say I turn my AM/FM/CD to 30... it remains at those volumes regardless of switching between the 3. Now the Voice in, remains at the volume it was last played at. So if you were cranking it, turned off your car, got back in later and played the radio at soft volumes and then switched to Voice-in.... you're in for a surprise :lol: .

Sound quality is excellent though, as it's a direct in. I'm looking at low amp relays that could be wired to a jack, negating the switch. Specifically, I'm looking at something that will "click" over using the small output from a headphone jack on portable devices at low volumes (.1 -.5 volts). That way, the radio would switch automatically everytime the units is plugged in and played. Also, I didn't get a chance to further test the Remote Ground on the pin cluster, to see if it would trigger the voice-in mode, or provided a ground when in voice-in mode.

This is just one option that is simple and extremly cost effective. Not counting tools, this can be done for $10 with a $4 switch, and $6 cable. I've been pondering more "trick" (pardon the ebonics here) options as I'm going along. I also know that this will work on any Audi, VW, Porsche, older BMW radio's that have the telephone pins, or aux pins in the radio. If anyone needs to know whether it would work, just shoot me a pic of the back/pin cluster, or diagram.

I'd really like this to be a starting platform, as this is a first effort, and hence far from perfect. Any improvements, recommendations, or evolutions from this idea are absolutely welcome, and would love to hear some feedback from others out there. One option I liked, but didn't think of until afterwards was to make a jack-input, rather than running the cable.

I've seen the aux mods done on LS1GTO.Com, some which were executed very well, but didn't like the tapping/taking apart of the OEM stereo, or the non-universal 2.5mm jack. Almost all portable devices, except cellphones, use a 3.5 headphone jack, necessitating a reducer/adapter. Furthermore, the need for a blank CD was really discouraging for me as well. It just seemed too low rent for this caliber car. As far as I know, I haven't seen anyone else taking this route/approach to enabling an aux, though I'd imagine someone on a VW/Audi/Porsche forum has, or at least performed it without posting.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts