Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I sold the set I bought. They won't burn the lense, they're just not as bright as the factory halogens in my opinion. I bought the 5000K kit which is supposed to be the whitest light.

Jody

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have added HIDs to the last several cars/trucks I've owned. I think they should be MANDATORY on all new cars, due to the brightness and added safety when it's dark. A large percentage of accidents occur due to improper lighting.
I recently put HIDs into my GTO and they're simply AMAZING. They're extraordinarily bright, and shine a lot more light on the road than the standard halogens did.
Some HIDs are brighter than others, so ask around about brands, temperatures and problems that others may have had.
As for your smoked lenses, I think you're pretty much stuck with dim lights. As someone who drives a fair amount at night, I think it's silly to diminish your ability to get the maximum amount of light to the road. On the other hand, I'm sure they look pretty cool. I'm not knocking you, I just prefer function over appearance. ;)
I do think HIDs would help slightly, but you'll never get the full benefit of any lighting system, halogen or otherwise, unless you get rid of the smoked lenses.
Good Luck with your decision and please report back with your decision.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Have I missed something?? What in the world is an X? (other than a letter of the alphabet).

·
Registered
700 Posts
Ah, ok, a microsloth internet exploiter thing. I get it. Thanks.
:)

·
Registered
700 Posts
aha, I can see it.
Looks nice, but I sure wouldn't want to have to drive at night with that car. :cool
You're very welcome...if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Two comments

1. I have two other cars with HID lights and they are not noticeably better than a good set of halogen bulbs and reflectors. The light is whiter due to a color temp close to natural light but doesn't project any further. I wouldn't pay big bucks for HID.
  2. HID lights are much more efficient at producing visible light than halogen bulb resistance technology. They therefore produce much less wasted energy in the form of heat. They run much cooler than halogen bulbs and if HID burns your lens then Halogen would have already melted them. Your friend is a tard.

·
Registered
94 Posts
baron_iv said:
I have added HIDs to the last several cars/trucks I've owned. I think they should be MANDATORY on all new cars, due to the brightness and added safety when it's dark. A large percentage of accidents occur due to improper lighting.
I recently put HIDs into my GTO and they're simply AMAZING. They're extraordinarily bright, and shine a lot more light on the road than the standard halogens did.
Some HIDs are brighter than others, so ask around about brands, temperatures and problems that others may have had.
As for your smoked lenses, I think you're pretty much stuck with dim lights. As someone who drives a fair amount at night, I think it's silly to diminish your ability to get the maximum amount of light to the road. On the other hand, I'm sure they look pretty cool. I'm not knocking you, I just prefer function over appearance. ;)
I do think HIDs would help slightly, but you'll never get the full benefit of any lighting system, halogen or otherwise, unless you get rid of the smoked lenses.
Good Luck with your decision and please report back with your decision.
I also added them to my last few cars. But on the GTO there is no way they were as bright as the factory lights. I used the McCullough 5000K kit which is supposed to be the whitest and brightest.

On my Lightning I added hid's from Sylvania; that was a noticeable improvement. I was disappointed with the HID's on the GTO. I actually mounted one of each just to make sure it wasn't all in my head. Wasn't even close, the factory halogen was much brighter and whiter, much better coverage of the road.

So whose kit did you use?

Jody

·
Registered
700 Posts
I used a philips-type ballast/igniter, made by pilot. The only camera I've got is a video camera, otherwise I'd post some pics.
I put 4300k in my low-beams, 6000k in the highs and foglights.
I have used McCulloch ballasts/bulbs/igniters before and I wasn't really impressed with them. They were more difficult to install due to the separate ballast and igniter.
I got my 6000k bulbs from this guy, he's extremely fast at getting back to you when you ask a question and the shipping was quick as well. His 6000k bulbs were considerably brighter than any other HID bulb I've ever used, including the 4300k.
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZgenuineQ5fbiz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.