Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is my dilemma:

My father has given me this car that he purchased new. Its a 1970 GTO Red/Red, 4 speed, 18,241 miles, wipers have never been on, stored inside a climate controled building for its entire life. Never been painted, orig. spark plugs, orig. cardboard floor mats from first state bank thanking him for his loan, ect.. The other odd thing about this car is that at the time he purchased it a slacker kid worked at the dealership and would take your new car out and beat on it as part of the dealer prep. Knowing this he met the truck at dealership and unloaded it himself and drove it home without being dealer preped. Because of this the underhood area is filled with little tags that the dealer should have removed when they serviced or inspected each item on the list.

What should I do? Drive it? Sell it? Hang onto it even longer?

Does anyone have any idea whats this car is curently worth?

I just noticed that the hood is not completly closed in the second pic. The bat cable is removed each time and we simply backed it out for these pics and to let it run a few min.

My Father at the wheel

·
Banned
223 Posts
IMHO, contact an auction house, or hold onto it until the next big boom, and that may be awhile.

Sad, but true, every additional mile you put on it at this point diminishes it's value!! You'd be crazy to take it out on the street!~:eek:

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
It's value to the purist would be immense. Those looking to restore their car to factory original need only look at your car to see what's 100% correct. This could be one of those cars that sell for crazy money at BJ.
If it's at all possable for you to keep the car in it's currant state yourself, that's what I would do. I would not drive it.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Sound advise from the above posts. If it has sentimental value, and you don't need the $$$, keep it. If you want to have a GTO to drive and enjoy, sell it when prices go back up (they will), and use the money to buy a vacation house AND a driver GTO!!! As well preserved as this car appears, every mile will detract value. It's an historical artifact, and should be preserved as such.

·
Registered
465 Posts
wow, that is awesome. especially for a ND car. My galaxie lived its life in fargo, and Valley City. Just do whatever feels right, but keep in mind that car could go for loads of money. Seems like you've been doing everything right so far, so keep it up. If you don't mind, wereabout in North Dakota are you?

·
GTOAA 04-06 Technical Advisor
228 Posts
The real question here is why did your Dad give it to you? What are his expectations of your actions? He may intend for you to enjoy it so selling it would just make you seem greedy, after all, he could have sold it too.
Treat it like any other antique. Take it to some shows.......

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Giving it some more thought, I think that if I were in your shoes, I would drive it some. Not a lot, but maybe 500-1000 miles a year. My reasoning is, you only live once. Your dad drove it a bit less than 2500 miles a year for 39 years. If you did the same, YOUR kid could inherit a like-new, 78 year old 1970 GTO with ONLY 34k on the clock....still a basically "new" car, wear and tear-wise. Bottom line, you're in a great position, and you have a LOT of choices, all of them GOOD!!!

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
I'm in the drive it a little each year club. Like Jeff said, even with 34k in another 30 years isn't going to hurt the value. Carefully document the little tags under the hood with good quality pics. If there is a way to safely remove them, like from the master cylinder bail and vacuum brake valve, I would remove and save them. By removing as much as possible to prevent damage/loss, the risk factor goes down. There is always the risk of driving any car of that value but I, personally, don't have much interest in a car I would be afraid to drive.
You're very lucky that your Dad had the foresight to keep the car and use it so little. If I had the dozens of muscle cars back that I owned during the 70's, I could sell half of them and retire to play with the rest....:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Here is my dilemma:

My father has given me this car that he purchased new. Its a 1970 GTO Red/Red, 4 speed, 18,241 miles, wipers have never been on, stored inside a climate controled building for its entire life. Never been painted, orig. spark plugs, orig. cardboard floor mats from first state bank thanking him for his loan, ect.. The other odd thing about this car is that at the time he purchased it a slacker kid worked at the dealership and would take your new car out and beat on it as part of the dealer prep. Knowing this he met the truck at dealership and unloaded it himself and drove it home without being dealer preped. Because of this the underhood area is filled with little tags that the dealer should have removed when they serviced or inspected each item on the list.

What should I do? Drive it? Sell it? Hang onto it even longer?

Does anyone have any idea whats this car is curently worth?

I just noticed that the hood is not completly closed in the second pic. The bat cable is removed each time and we simply backed it out for these pics and to let it run a few min.

My Father at the wheel

Call Barrett-Jackson, Russo and Steele or Mecum Auction Companies and see if they or an appraiser will tell you what this car is worth. If it's worth a lot of money, I would sell it and use the proceeds to buy another goat for a lot less that could be driven whenever you want. I drive mine, but its not worth the amount of money yours might be worth. Just my two cents..........Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys bring up some great points. Why has he gifted it to me? He could not stand the thought of selling it after all these years and he does not dare drive it. So it becomes my issue, I guess there are worse problems to have. I plan to take a bunch of photos when the weather warms up they should be helpfull to anyone rebuilding a 70'

Any ideas on proper storage to prolong this beauty?

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
You guys bring up some great points. Why has he gifted it to me? He could not stand the thought of selling it after all these years and he does not dare drive it. So it becomes my issue, I guess there are worse problems to have. I plan to take a bunch of photos when the weather warms up they should be helpfull to anyone rebuilding a 70'

Any ideas on proper storage to prolong this beauty?

Seven3smoke:

Storage ideas:
-- Heated garage, if you have access to one.
-- Battery tender to keep the battery charged.
-- Warm up the engine at least once a month to keep the engine "exercised."
-- Put preserver in your gas to prevent the gas from going bad.
-- Good car cover.
-- Don't let critters get to the car.
-- Wax it with good wax to preserve the paint.
-- Make sure the car is insured for full appraisal value.

Look forward to seeing the detailed pictures.

Good luck.

Paul

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Sell it to me...I'll drive it!!!! Actually, being that it is a family heirloom, I would keep it inside and trailer it to shows. Build or buy one to drive.....can you imagine sitting at the red light in the center of town, and some moron,talking on a cellphone with one hand, and smoking a cancerette with the other slllaaaaammmmmmssss into the back of your beautiful GTO........you would instantly have a pile of 39 year old scrap metal !
Eric the voice of doom Animal:willy:

·
Registered
36 Posts
If it were me... which it isn't... I would drive it.. Whats the point in owning a beauty like that and not being able to enjoy it. That is my personal opinion and I understand where everyone is coming from with theirs. I know that if I was going to hand down a peice of machinery like that too my kids I would expect them to respect it the same way I would have, by having some fun with it but not destroying it. Eventually someone is going to be driving it.. In my personal opinion I would rather it be family than some rich bastard who won it at at auction.

Sorry, I read this post AGAIN.. and my position is still the same, I agree with GeeTeeohguy...I didnt see his name in the preview or I would have spelled it right.. Maybe I am getting to the point in my life where I am resenting the rich.. Really whats the cash for the car really worth to you?? It would make me happier seeing some broke bastard like my son driving it rather some rich dude who has no respect for what it is other than a GTO.. It was yours dad's car.. I would drive it. Family heirloom.. F the rich.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Seven3smoke:

Storage ideas:
-- Heated garage, if you have access to one.
-- Battery tender to keep the battery charged.
-- Warm up the engine at least once a month to keep the engine "exercised."
-- Put preserver in your gas to prevent the gas from going bad.
-- Good car cover.
-- Don't let critters get to the car.
-- Wax it with good wax to preserve the paint.
-- Make sure the car is insured for full appraisal value.

Look forward to seeing the detailed pictures.

Good luck.

Paul
carefully pumping some fresh brake fluid through the system might be a good idea too since it absorbs moisture. such a beautiful car. great story:cheers

1 - 20 of 48 Posts