Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first 1966 GTO 2 weeks ago it has not been on the road since 1982 and has been sitting inside that entire time. I got it started in no time and it seems to run great at idle. I am working on getting the brakes working right now as the master cylinder was leaking. It had a disc brake conversion done at some point in it's early life as it appears to be all Delco marked parts. All of the components on the engine appear to factory installed and original to the car.
It has very little body damage and the rust spot in at the lower front windshield under the trim the rest of the car is rust free. It appears to of had a cheap paint job done in the late 70's and needs to be painted again to look like new. My question is do I leave the engine and under hood area alone since it is so factory looking and untouched and just re-paint the exterior? Or do it complete as a full restoration? I am leaning towards just doing the exterior and not touching the under hood area until such time that engine needs to be rebuilt.
Any thoughts on the correct direction?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Welcome, thats what i would do (and did), get it running and stopping good and enjoy it while you do the body work. A driving car in epoxy primer is much more fun than one separated from its frame for 2+ years. Not all of these cars need a full body off nuts and bolt restoration.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is such a great looking car other than the paint I think that this is the best direction to take, just fix what needs fixin.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I have a similar situation. I still have original paint which looks decent but has spots that need repair. Mostly lower parts. After some wrk, my car runs and drives great. It's a fun car that turns heads, wins at shows, and gets lots of attention. I say just fix what makes you happy on your car and enjoy it. If you take it apart, it will be years, if ever it gets back on the road again.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hey neighbor! I'm in Santa Rosa and spend a fair amount of time in Larkfield. PM me and we'll chat about available resources in the area.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Santa Rosa? You know Rose Catering by any chance?

Bear
I have a friend who had a restaurant named The Red Rose. She recently closed and now only caters and I thought that was the name she uses... They're originally form Arkansas and specialize in Southern food. Sound familiar?

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
Don't think that's the same outfit. My friend Paul has had Rose's Catering "forever" and has never had a restaurant to my knowledge. He also makes the best potato salad in the known universe. He's been in both Santa Rosa and Petaluma - and to be honest I'm not certain whether he lives in one and has his business in the other, or both. :D

Bear

·
Registered
714 Posts
Don't think that's the same outfit. My friend Paul has had Rose's Catering "forever" and has never had a restaurant to my knowledge. He also makes the best potato salad in the known universe. He's been in both Santa Rosa and Petaluma - and to be honest I'm not certain whether he lives in one and has his business in the other, or both. :D

Bear
Ha! I just Googled him and he's in Rohnert Park (seven miles South of me). I'll have to find a way to try the Potato salad!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok driving the GTO and just painting it is, once the new brake booster and master cylinder are here it will be on the road.

·
Registered
659 Posts
That's in pretty good shape. I would see what I could do to locate an original steering wheel or a better looking aftermarket one, fugly. A new carpet would really make that interior look 10 times better too.

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
Ha! I just Googled him and he's in Rohnert Park (seven miles South of me). I'll have to find a way to try the Potato salad!
IN addition to his catering business he was packaging it and selling it through local grocery stores there for awhile. I don't know if he still is doing that or not.

I occasionally travel to San Jose on business. He and I (and another friend) usually find a way to get together and play some music when I do, and I always bring a small cooler so I can carry home a batch of it on ice. It's that good.

Bear

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Looks pretty unmolested except for the steering wheel, the more original you stay the better the value. New carpet would not hurt and you can get a good look at the floor pans from the inside. If the original carpet is not dry and brittle though you could just die it with some Rit.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Just fix as needed and enjoy. I've done that to all my GTO's, and the two I now have, and have had for 30+ years now, have never been restored. Just repaired as needed. While friends of mine haven't driven their GTO's in 25 years because they took them apart to 'restore' them, I'm out driving mine and taking trips all over the US. Life is short...get out and DRIVE!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts