Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
It appears to be a vacuum switch that is operated by a signal from a heat sender....ie: allows something to open or close when the engine reaches a specific temp.......A 70's guy will know. eric

·
Registered
711 Posts
Looks to me like an Idle stop solenoid. If it is, you can go either way. They're actually kind of cool, as they prevent dieseling (or help to) by allowing the throttle to come farther closed when you turn the key off.

...if that's what it is.

Cheers, Chuck

·
Registered
704 Posts
used vacuum switch that was part of the ignition \ emission controls between distributor vac. advance and supply. End nipple appears to be broken off. It was used on my 72 monte carlo 350 4bbl.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
There is a reason "pontiac" has that name! Orbit, this is the kind of stuff that was thrown away by the bucket load "back in the day", which makes it rare and desireable for a numbers matching restorer. Yeah, early emissions control stuff isn't the best for total performance, but if I had a Judge, I would be installing as many correct parts on it as I had. If you don't re-install, at least keep it with the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts