Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Red Holman, in Westland MI,
For those looking into GTO's (or any car for that matter)

About a week ago we were there (after hours) and I saw the GTO of my choice (Metallic Blue, M6 2005). We were in the neighborhood, and I had to see it again, and maybe test drive one :willy:

As we're walking around the corner to the GTO (the same one) we also saw about 5-8 sales guys standing around doing NOTHING but watching us. Granted I didn't have my spiffy work clothes on, but my wife and I were in fairly new clothes, and very presentable. We walked around the car that was only 30 ft away from where all the sales guys were standing, and in plain view, looking out of the corner of my eye, they were staring at us like vultures.

Here's what pissed me off. Now granted it was 8:30pm, and they close at 9pm. But not ONE sales guy approached us, even after I stood there staring at them. 1) they were either judging us, because I'm a younger guy (25) and they have a lot of lookers, and didn't want to waist the effort, 2) they were closing soon, whatever it was, I'm calling the owner first thing tomorrow, and letting him know of their horrible sales service, and I'm also calling GM customer service and letting them know of this BS. I'm at the point now where I don't wan one, why the F**K should I have aproach them. I bet they sell a lot of cars :confused

Sorry had to vent, this should be a Sticky, or put into some sort of "bad dealership" thread.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Clevite, its funny to read that because I had a bad experience when shopping for my 05. After a couple sales guys just stared at me while I checked the car out I decided to go to them because they were not coming to me (a very wierd thing when normally they are like buzzards to roadkill). When I approached the guys and said I was interested in the car the first thing they asked me was what I thought of the price. I am 30 and if I recall I was wearing jean shorts and a T-shirt but the reality is I was there to buy that GTO. I got so mad I left the idiots standing there and went inside where I met with the sales manager. He directed me to a salesman who was willing to discuss selling the car to me without the BS attitude. I told the sales guy I wanted a test drive to start and he actually explained to me that they dont give test drives of this car unless I am serious about buying it..........I just stared at the guy. I guess he figured it out because after several seconds he decided to get the keys. Anyway, 3.5 hours later I ended up walking out of there with no car. The sales manager refused to sell me that car for a penny less than sticker, the 2 sales guys got into a fight over who was getting commission on the sale (the guy I walked up to that asked me about the price and the guy I ended up with inside), and an absolute insult on my trade value. Autoway sucks, and I would never do business with them. I ended up at a different dealership who sold me the car with my GMS discount and where I also had one of the best car buying experiences of my life (even though it was only my 4th). The salesman came skipping over the instant he saw me looking at the car and bent over backwards to make me happy and not once did I feel he was evaluating me as a guy who couldnt actually buy this car. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
674 Posts
arnold buick pontiac in babylon NY was excellent. i bought the car over the phone from Bill on thursday afternoon, came in that night signed a few papers and called geico to fax insurance ID.

picked it up saturday. in and out both times in no time, no games, no hassles and most importantly, NO surprises. highly recommend them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have learned a few things about dealerships over the years. I own a business and have bought several vehicles over the years both for personal and business use. You are definitely going to be treated with more respect and more as a potential buyer the older you are. The vehicle you drive into the dealership also makes a big impact on the salesmen. However, one of the best ways to have a good experience at a dealership is to call ahead and set up an appointment with the sales manager. If you communicate in a professional manner over the phone, you will probably be treated well at the dealership. The last comment I have is that some dealerships just suck and you should go find a better one. Good luck and make sure you wave at those lame salesman as you drive by in your new GTO from another dealer. :cheers

·
Registered
364 Posts
First thing you should mention is that you have been to other dealerships. Don't mention that it was a bad experience because then you lose the bargaining power that you can go back to where you came from. Talk price before you ask about a test drive. If you go for a test drive too quickly they keep referring to your experience in the car and you can't act unimpressed and still show interest in buying it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm sure there are some good car salesman out there, but they seem to be highly outnumbered... :lol:

Normally when I buy a vehicle, I already know exactly what I want, exactly what options, exactly what color, exactly how much it costs, etc. I start my discussion at a dealership by walking up the nearest salesman and saying "hi, I'd like to talk to the sales manager..."
I then tell the sales manager "I'd like to buy X for Y (usually about $500 under invoice)".
Typically they get that I'm serious, ask a few credit questions, find out I already have financing arranged, say "done" or give me a counter offer (normally around invoice) and hand me back to the salesman to do the paperwork. If they say no thanks, I'm off to another dealer.

Don't let the salesman get to you. If they don't want to talk to you, either find the sales manager, or go to another dealer. :cheers

·
Registered
143 Posts
Subdriver said:
I'm sure there are some good car salesman out there, but they seem to be highly outnumbered... :lol:

Normally when I buy a vehicle, I already know exactly what I want, exactly what options, exactly what color, exactly how much it costs, etc. I start my discussion at a dealership by walking up the nearest salesman and saying "hi, I'd like to talk to the sales manager..."
I then tell the sales manager "I'd like to buy X for Y (usually about $500 under invoice)".
Typically they get that I'm serious, ask a few credit questions, find out I already have financing arranged, say "done" or give me a counter offer (normally around invoice) and hand me back to the salesman to do the paperwork. If they say no thanks, I'm off to another dealer.

Don't let the salesman get to you. If they don't want to talk to you, either find the sales manager, or go to another dealer. :cheers
:agree :agree

There's no reason to lie to a dealer or attempt to mislead them in any way. They know all the games and if they are professinal they won't play their games either. When I bought mine I said I'd been looking, knew exactly what I wanted, financing was irrelevant because of flawless credit, and we went from there. It's simple business and doesn't need to be confrontational.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have to laugh at this a bit, because I have the exact opposite problem. I absolutely hate it when I pull into a dealer's lot, because I'm instantly descended upon before I can even get the car door open - every stinking time. I'd really like to just check out their inventory, and if I'm interested I'll let them know.

Just as a point of reference - I'm 51, and all my cars are relatively new.

I bought my GTO using GMBuypower. Did all the paperwork via fax and Fedex. I spoke to the salesperson maybe 3 times by phone, and had the car delivered to my house from the out of state dealership. One of the best buying experiences I've had - never set foot on the dealership or shook hands with the salesman. Hopefully, this is the wave of the future.

·
Registered
97 Posts
!! Norris Pontiac here in Nanuet, NY is FANTASTIC !!

Not only did I get an immediate test drive of my '04 (August last year) but the Salesman (Charlie Cernaro) has become a good friend.
I got a great deal on price, Tires for life (as long as I own the car) and FREE scheduled maintenance.

Initially I was left to look over the car with my girlfriend and then when it seemed like we were done, he came over and asked if we had any questions.

Also I have had the car serviced twice, no problems and they call me when the car is ready.

ALSO, the body shop did an awesome job of putting on my SAP and the price was $40 less than the nearest CASH price.

If your in the NY area, I would recommend these guys even if it is worth a little bit of a drive to get there.

:party:

·
Registered
53 Posts
The only thing I can add is from the perspective of a former car salesman. I'm sure a car like the GTO gets a ton of wannabes who just want to go out and flog the thing, with no intentions of buying it. Spend one week at a car dealership, and you'll see what I mean. That's why a good car salesman would be asking questions, like what are you looking for, when you're buying, what you drive now, etc., to size up if you're a prospective tire kicker. This is a gray area, and if I was a dealer, I'd have no interest in letting anyone drive a 400 hp car unless they were serious about buying one, and if the salesman didn't take the time to qualify the lead, he should find a new job.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm just adding my 2 cents but... is this not a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation? Had they come out at 8:30 closing at 9 you would have thought JE$US CHRI$T I can't come at 8:30 without being hounded and because they did now it's horrible service? I was 22 when I bought both of my Goats and they respected me both times, once in Armani, and once in Plain Gray TShirt and Jeans. Double edged sword if you ask me...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd like to fist say thanks for all the positive feedback, it seems everyone is very mature on this forum. GTOfreak, I completely understand your point. But with me telling the dealers, that my wife and I are looking at Durangos and won't be serious for another few months, they threw the keys at us. time and time again even after we told them we've already driven them. I'm just pissed that not once did they even acknowledge us. Kind of like we weren't good enough. What they should have done, is came up to us/their customers, and only let us/or their customers test drive a car once they have in writing that they plan on buying the car based on the test drive, and the test drive is to be done with a sales manager. I and most, would be completely fine with that. But to be completely ignored, isn't at all good business ethics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.