Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next month will be 5 years that I've own my GTO and only 1 person who has ever driven my car and that's Justin (GM4Life). One time I wasn't even in the car when he took it out. Honestly he is the only one I trust to do that. When I first got the car I offered the key to a lot of my friends to drive it but they declined. With the extra power it has now, they're scared of it and definitely won't drive it. I have one friend who insists we take the Maxima out when I volunteer to drive... LOL! Boy that's sad.

I really don't think I will let anyone other than Justin drive my car.

Do you guys have someone you'd trust to drive you GTO or is the driver's seat custom fitted for your buttocks only? :D

·
Registered
621 Posts
Everyone I'd let drive it knows how I feel about the car so they refuse to get behind the wheel. Best of both worlds! I offer, they refuse. Everyone is happy.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I've had my car for 4 years and 57,000 miles (had 7 when I bought her). My wife drives it every now and then (a big part of the reason I went with the auto tranny), my 16 year old step-daughter drives it (with me in the car), I let her and a friend or 2 drive it while they were 15 and had their driving permits (again, with me in the car), and 1 or 2 of my old high school buddies have gotten behind the wheel. I love my car to death and after I get the heads, cam, intake, torque converter, etc. put on in a couple weeks I might not let as many peeps drive it, but for now I feel it's more then streetable enough for just about anybody to handle. Part of the reason I love the GTO so much, don't got to be a brain surgeon to drive one.

·
Registered
351 Posts
only 4 people have driven my car and one of them was my 17 year old nephew he knew it had power so as soon as he got in it he tacked it out in first gear went to second ! missed then went to 3rd missed hit the rev limiter twice I told him he was a retard dont ever ask to drive my car again lol.

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
I guess I would let my dad drive it, he's no stranger to RWD and a man pedal. He hasn't driven a GTO in over 30 years though. I'll probably let my son drive it in 14 years, as long as he learns a clutch on something else first. I'm going to start him out on mini/dirt bikes before he gets behind the wheel. But no, nobody has even been in it without me since I brought it home from the dealership last June.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm the only driver of my GTO... hell my wife refuses to drive it. She rolls in a Kia Soul and its only the second car she's owned... so I don't think I'd be comfortable with her driving the Goat even if she wanted to.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
I offer it up to the wife every non and then, but she refuses. I think it's the 4spd, manual steering, drum brakes with no assist. I think she's afraid. I did let my brother drive it once. But he's 2 1/2 hrs away, so the opportunity rarely arises. Every boy in my daughters class ask if she gets to use it when she gets her license, she's 13 now. She knows better... I do pick her up at school once in awhile. Of course, everyone wants me to "rev it up". I do. They yell and scream with approval and the teachers crack a smile......

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've let only 1 person drive it,my cousin when he took it to the garage he worked at to fix my strut mount/bearing.Probably the last time anyone other than myself will be driving it,at least until my 9 year old son gets old enough and RESPONSIBLE enough to do so.

I plan on keeping it as long as I'm alive and will be handing the Goat down to him one day,at least that's the plan.

·
Registered
250 Posts
A select few have driven my GTO. My wife backed it out her drive way and i yelled at her because she didnt completely stop before she put it in D... She refuses to drive it, she wont even move it cuz she knows how i am with it.. My dad drove it around the block when he was baby sitting it for me.

Im not too sure about you guys. But im that A$$ hole that takes up 2 spots at the end of the parking lot, the furthest away from where i need to go, so no idiot parks next to me... The wife says i treat her better... LOL:rofl:

·
Registered
457 Posts
My wife and 1 brother have driven the GTO. My other brother (maybe the best driver of us all) is waiting to drive it but the weather is so crappy that I'm not letting it out of the garage if I don't have to. I trust their driving skills. My 19 yr. old son on the other hand I barely allow him to be a passenger, LOL. He is begging me to drive the GTO. I point to his Grand Am and remind him how he beats up on that thing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've let a few people drive my rides.
One resulted in a spun rod bearing in a '74 GTO I used to own. My little brother was driving it and he missed third gear (M22 four speed). He was honest about it and said he was racing someone. He shifted at 5500rpm into third ,missed it,and the tach bounced to 8000rpm before he knew what happened. By the time he brought it home, it was knocking pretty bad. I made him rebuild the engine while I looked over his shoulder.

Another resulted in a wreck that totaled the same 1974 GTO (one month after the rebuild).I let a friend drive it and I was in the passenger seat. It was the other cars fault.
My friend felt bad but I told him it wasn't his fault.

Come to think of it, I had some really bad luck with that car.

I did let my daughter drive my '69 GTO that I own now. Nothing bad happened but she did get a big kick out of it. She was 17 at the time (28 now) and I was in the passenger seat.

I'll let my wife drive it anytime she wants. Even by herself.
I have no problem saying no to everyone else.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Do you guys have someone you'd trust to drive your GTO or is the driver's seat custom fitted for your buttocks only? :D
Lol! Aahhhhh.....NO!!! If there lucky they can be a passenger! If i really like them they dont have to put there shoes in the trunk! :rofl: (kidding about the shoes in the trunk part. Thats reserved for riding in the Gn!)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I've let the following drive the GTO:

- Dad
- brother
- friends with $$$$ to pay for damages

All of them are scared of the GTO and never hammer it as hard as I do.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I just told the woman she had to master the 5 speed in my 93 Toyota before she could drive the goat. I paid less for that truck than one months car payment on the GTO so needless to say its not a beauty. She doesn't even ask to drive the GTO anymore!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts