Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chasing a few drops of oil underneath the 64 and look what I found on the crank pulley! Bolts were started cross threaded and left... which is better than run in messing up all threads or broken off, I guess. Easy fix chased threads with a tap. Had the car since Feb and put only 30 miles on it so far. Doing a closer job of inspection now. MI weather has broken & it's driving time!

Attachments

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
That's scary. I wonder what ELSE has been left loose? I'd pull the wheels, check the brakes, and HOPE they didn't go into the engine. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the engine is the main thing that's been done!
A $10k professional build in 2010, about 1,000 miles on it. That and the front suspension and steering components. Nice and new but I'm more wary now! I have new fresh painted pulley in a box of parts that's a different style. Whishfully thinking the owner swapped it out after the engine build????

·
Registered
554 Posts
Pulley wants a cracker

Must be a common thing with these Pontiacs. The pulley bolts from both the 326 AND 455 had something the matter with them on mine. Never saw that in any other vehicles I've ever worked on. Had to tap holes out and go with oversized bolts. WTF!!!????? :eek:

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
This could be a sign of the rubber deteriorating in the original balancer assembly, allowing the outer ring to get out of true/blance, which would vibrate the bolts loose. ....kinda like trying to dry one pillow in the clothes dryer. Keep a close eye on the balancer and bolts. New balancers are available if needed.

·
Registered
554 Posts
OOOOO! On the 455, I had to redo all the bolt holes. It appeared someone put wrong bolts in. On the 326, I just chased out the holes like Piedog, and all was good. Both balancers looked great! (Not sure if you can tell much by that, though). I've been checking the tightness on the 455 every so often, but so far, so good. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts