Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm sitting at a light on my way to work this morning, pooped from a three-day weekend that included hours of car waxing and lawn mowing in our lovely desert heat, when a new Dodge truck pulls up in the right lane next to me.

I'm staring straight ahead in a daze, so when the light turns green I just kinda putt-putt forward. But the truck driver takes off like a shot, his intent unmistakable.

Well, the juvenile in me awoke the commuting sluggard. I put my foot down, kept it in first gear until I'd passed the truck, then shifted to second and eased up. The speed limit was only 45.

At the next light we ended up side-by-side again. The roof of my car kept me from being able to see up into the cab of the Dodge, but I could see the guy's left arm resting on the open window sill. So I reached out my right hand and gave the guy a thumb's up. He reciprocated.

When the light turned green I let him go. He crossed my path and got into the left-turn lane, while I motored on straight. All in all, a nice little encounter.

But dang, whoever said those Dodge trucks launch well was right!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buffalo said:
So I guess I will ask the obilgatory question, was it a Hemi?
That's an excellent question. As I said, I was a zombie when the guy first took off, so as I gathered my senses, my whole focus was on passing him and not blowing the 1-2 shift. I didn't take time to note whatever engine displacment info was on the truck. When he was beside me at the next light, I couldn't see anything. After I let him cross my path and get into the left-turn late, I tried reading the fender badges as I motored past (without being obvious, naturally). I recall seeing "2500," I think, but then I entered the intersection and had to pay attention to where the car was pointed.

I'd read somewhere on this forum about how hard diesel trucks launch, but I don't recall a bunch a diesel clatter. So I'm assuming this was a work truck with the Hemi engine. It did get up and go with authority, I'll grant him that.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MuhThugga said:
Well, it wasn't an SRT-10 Ram....

More than likely a Hemi
No, definitely not the SRT, although there are quite a few of those around here. This was more like a work truck: Four-wheel drive and riding kinda high (but still stock).

You know what's weird? I sometimes forget, as I'm sitting in traffic, that I'm in a GTO. I mean, there are moments when you're just plain commuting, for Pete's sake. But others see you at a light, and your mere presence there must seem like a heaven-sent opportunity.

What was that old western where a gunslinger was trying to hang 'em up, but wannabe tough guys kept seeing him and challenging him? It's amazing the responses a GTO at a stoplight elicits!

·
Registered
14 Posts
GM Kid said:
No, definitely not the SRT, although there are quite a few of those around here. This was more like a work truck: Four-wheel drive and riding kinda high (but still stock).

You know what's weird? I sometimes forget, as I'm sitting in traffic, that I'm in a GTO. I mean, there are moments when you're just plain commuting, for Pete's sake. But others see you at a light, and your mere presence there must seem like a heaven-sent opportunity.

What was that old western where a gunslinger was trying to hang 'em up, but wannabe tough guys kept seeing him and challenging him? It's amazing the responses a GTO at a stoplight elicits!
Yeah. I don't own a GTO right now. However, I'm planning on owning one in the near future. Either the end of the summer or I'll see what the '05 rollovers look like come November/December.
I've only driven one once on a test drive, and I absolutely loved it. So hopefully I'll have that feeling of "Wow, I'm in a GTO!"

·
Registered
222 Posts
GM Kid said:
As I'm still in the break-in period and trying to not stay at one rpm for very long ,so I am commuting some at 55 . The cruise is so comfortable that I agree - you forget your driving a GTO. Doesn't last long because the rpm's must be rotated.
Of course if you cruise for over two hours the trip computer tells you it's time for a break - cracked up on that one...

Great job Pontiac ...
:cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
GM Kid said:

"Fastest gun alive" with Glenn Ford. Man, there was a good flick.... as was most anything he did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.