Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here with a newb question. I've been reading over the forum and thought I once read in a magazine that the GTO (04) has that shift mechanism that glides from 1-4th gear to save gas. Is that true? How exactly does that work/feel. Can you get it to go into 2 at low RPMs easily?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
BrianV said:
New guy here with a newb question. I've been reading over the forum and thought I once read in a magazine that the GTO (04) has that shift mechanism that glides from 1-4th gear to save gas. Is that true? How exactly does that work/feel. Can you get it to go into 2 at low RPMs easily?

Thanks
yes the o5 has it to. i dont have the m6 so i cant tell u how it feels but iam sure they hate it :willy:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh wow so it's a computer forced thing, you HAVE to shift into fourth gear? So what's the values associate with this? If you shift under 3000 RPM you have to goto 4th, or is it TPS related?

I always thought it was a mechnical thing that 'encouraged' you to glide into 4th under light throttle.

Man that does suck, that would be the first thing to do to any 6spd GTO.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
BrianV said:
Oh wow so it's a computer forced thing, you HAVE to shift into fourth gear? So what's the values associate with this? If you shift under 3000 RPM you have to goto 4th, or is it TPS related?

I always thought it was a mechnical thing that 'encouraged' you to glide into 4th under light throttle.

Man that does suck, that would be the first thing to do to any 6spd GTO.
If you stay in first gear until you hit about 20 mph, or about 3000 RPM then shift, you'll be fine. Took me a few weeks to get used to it, but now it's no problem at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A friend has a C5 his manual states that if you exceed 1800 RPM in first gear you can go into second, third, fourth, so on.

However, if you are at less than 1800 RPM you have to go to fourth. He indicated that it feels like a metal plate stops you from shifting into 2nd when it happens.

So if the 1800 RPM thing is true, it won't bother me! ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
The skip shift has been around for years in the corvette. if you're in 1st and less than 21% throttle and between certain rpms (like around 2000-3500), then you're locked out of 2nd gear if you shift by a physical mechanism in the gearbox. it's a pain. however, for $12 and 10 minutes you can disable it - that's what I did that day i bought it, then you never have to worry about it again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
linux_fan said:
The skip shift has been around for years in the corvette. if you're in 1st and less than 21% throttle and between certain rpms (like around 2000-3500), then you're locked out of 2nd gear if you shift by a physical mechanism in the gearbox. it's a pain. however, for $12 and 10 minutes you can disable it - that's what I did that day i bought it, then you never have to worry about it again.

How exactly would one go about disabling it? It's extremely obnoxious...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey im a new guy to the gto. In fact i just got it about two days ago. I happend to notice that when i was driving the car at a normal pace it tried to bump me down into forth gear. This is the dumbest thing i have ever seen in my life! how can i do the procedure to take it off without buying a chip

·
Registered
242 Posts
On page 2-23 of your owners manual tells you
the light will come on when:
The engine coolant temperature is higher than 169*F (76*C),
you are going 15 to 19 mph (24 to 31 km/h) and
you are 21 percent throttle or less.

The guy who invented this feature needs to be shot. The only time it come on for me is when I am stuck in traffic, usually turning left, when there is no way I should be going to fourth.

Like one of the other posts, I don't shift out of first unless I am over 3000 rpms (which is like 21 mph). Which in reality does the opposite of the desired "helps you get the best possible fuel economy"

From what I understand, it is a 'plunger' that pushes the shifter over and locks you out of the 2nd and 3rd. If the stupid thing engages when I don't want it, I end up shifting like I'm going to go into 4th but I put it back to second as soon as the 'plunger' dis-engages

·
Registered
101 Posts
I fixed mine for about $1 and 10mins work. Search CAGS or skip shift on this forum, and you'll find the instructions. You just use a 2k ohm resistor from Radio Shack. It's the same thing as the $20 CAGS Eliminator you can buy on line.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.