Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance for the length of this post... but like many of you, this car is my baby.

I need some help. About a month ago I was sitting in my car parked in a really empty parking lot, far away from anyone. I was enjoying the day wasting time until my appointment nearby listening to the radio. This girl pulls up and parks next to me. In a fit of paranoia I almost start the car and move it. Before I reach for the key she opens her door and is getting ready to get out. I figure I'll be alright, her door is already open. But then a big THUNK. She tries to walk away like she did nothing wrong...then says this kind of stuff happens all the time. clue ----less. skipping ahead... her insurance company agreed with me.

Anyway I need help...I have a pretty large door ding. It is on the passenger rear quarter... In front of the rear tire..under the rear side glass... On the body line where it begins its roll downward. The major part is 3 to 4 inches long but there is a visible defect all the way from the body line down to and including the side skirt. so 3 to 4 inces plus another 6 or so. The DentWizard says it WILL come out. BUT here is the catch, there doesn't seem to be access to behind that area. We couldn't find any manufacturing plugs that we could pull for access. So the guy tells me he might have to drill a small hole, that he would plug, in the door jam or the wheel well to gain access to the backside of the panel. He needs to be able to get his metal working toold inside. The thought of a whole kills. IT would just serve as a reminder of the clueless &*(*&# that hurt my car. Does anyone have any scans of a body shop manual for the car? Particularly the back of the area I described. I also thought of removing the interior on that side as that might help. But I would also need a diagram of this. I don't want to take any chances. I want my baby fixed! Anyone out there with this info?!

·
Registered
35 Posts
No shop manual for you, but I can't believe a small hole drilled in the bottom of the door & then plugged is such a bad thing. You gotta figure this ding isn't going to be the last time you get nailed. Try as you might you're gonna get dinged again & that new access hole will come in mighty handy!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I feel your pain...

What if you removed the back seat and side panel and gave that a try?

as for future dings, I disagree with Trace....I have gone "ding free" fo years.

I park as far away and am very cautious wherever I park Good luck

·
Registered
153 Posts
Can't help with the dent but, here in PA, for $40 you can file a small claims suit against your other party. Guy in a Lincoln did it to mom's car and 1 visit to the magistrate (not counting the filing) and the guy had to pony up $640 for the ding in the quarter panel. :cool

Did I mention it was her 2 month old Cadillac Catera? (Sounds like Deja Vu)

·
Registered
307 Posts
IdirecTV4u said:
Anyway I need help...I have a pretty large door ding. It is on the passenger rear quarter... In front of the rear tire..under the rear side glass... On the body line where it begins its roll downward. The major part is 3 to 4 inches long but there is a visible defect all the way from the body line down to and including the side skirt. so 3 to 4 inces plus another 6 or so.
What kind of tank was she driving? That sounds like she just flung the door open with full force.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info all. She was driving an 04 Impala. She claims the wind did it... yeah right! I saw her...she opened the door ..sat there for a bit...and when she went to get out she just jammed her door into the side of my car.
I'm trying to avoid any non factory holes. I'm also afraid of rust former later on if they drill in the wheel well. So I'll be stopping by the Dent Wizard on the way home again this week to ask if I remove the interior panels will this help.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had a ding repaired on my '99 Jeep GC that's my daily driver.

They had to drill into the door pillar behind the passenger side front to get to the ding.

After 6 years there is still no rust & the repair was flawless aside from the painted plug that they insterted after the drill/repair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.