Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 04' goat to the drags for the first time last night and had an absolute blast. This is the first manual car I have ever owned. Just drove standard farm truck before. Man I suck at shifting worse than I knew. I was turning 15's (or worse when missing gears). Alot of the time it was because I just sat there and spun the wheels through 1st and 2nd gears. I went and dug out $50 worth of rubber from the wheel wells a minute ago. Another guy has been turning mid 14's in his new GTO. So I have work to do but man, what a blast.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Good job for taking your baby to the strip. Try the old fast idle/bog it off the line trick. The car may lurch off the line, then you can roll down as the car gains speed.
Practice.....practice......practice makes perfect. Youll have her into the thirteens in no time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With a terrible reaction time of 1.317 I had a time of 2.315 @60ft. Didn't say the mph. at that distance. I sucked but had a blast. It seemed that if I didn't spin wildly that I would miss a gear. I took my big block 68' Camaro and family members took there 71' big block Chevelle and 97' Trans Am. We traded out cars and raced each other and had a blast. MY 17 year old cousin ( a girl) was the only one brave enough to ask to race the GTO. I told her how much that I love her and there was NO WAY it was going to happen.
I'll go back and get better. But not sure about 13's cause I'm scared to be ruff enough on the 6-speed to do it. I'll have to be more manly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Blue... What city / state are you racing in?? A drag racers time will vary a good amount with a high or low altitude. Also the temporature and humidity makes a big differences.

Don't worry about hurting your transmission. Just don't be slipping the clutch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I will be going to the strip the second weekend in October. Rumor has it that very low 14's to high 13's are doable. We will see, i have alot of drag race experiance, but not with a 6spd.
I am going to take her to an auto-x this weekend in Pontiac Mi. If any Michigan people are near by stop in and say hi. She's a little heavy for auto-x but what the heck it will be fun racing a rear drive car for a change.
Joe

·
Registered
185 Posts
i bought my gto on a friday night, and had it at US 41 drag way in morocco indiana saturday night, i too had a helluva time with the gears, but i must brag on this one, not only did i kick it out of first right off the line and about killed it, but an svt focus had about 70 yards on me, i still passed him like he was sitting still for a 15.7 run, the goat is one helluva car, the heads and intake have soo much potential, with a simple cam, and timing, i think 500 hp is possible

·
Registered
194 Posts
lambertgoat said:
i bought my gto on a friday night, and had it at US 41 drag way in morocco indiana saturday night, i too had a helluva time with the gears, but i must brag on this one, not only did i kick it out of first right off the line and about killed it, but an svt focus had about 70 yards on me, i still passed him like he was sitting still for a 15.7 run, the goat is one helluva car, the heads and intake have soo much potential, with a simple cam, and timing, i think 500 hp is possible
Good on ya!

Although it looks like your rubber it's not really. It's everyone elses combined that heats up and sticks to your car from the burn out area. I freaked the first time I washed my car after a race too and saw this! It's only 1/4 your rubber ha-ha!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Northstar Power in my 96 Cadillac Seville STS

Guys, the GTO is hitting 15's? Good Lord, my 96 STS hits mid 14's. I thought the GTO had more than that?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Anyone runni9ng in the 15's in this car is not hooking and should get some drag radials and launch at a lower rpm. This is a high 13 car stack if you know how to drive on a 1/4 strip and they prep it right. My 2002 Z28 which dynoed lower was a 13 second car and had less horse power AND torque this car stock for stock would beat it hands down so put the crack pipe down Mr. 1 poster anyways it's football day and yes I have been drinking ha-ha :cheers :cheers :party:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes I am new and creeping in your forum

Still, I beleive my 96 STS will no doubt give the GTO a run for its money if most folks are hitting 15's etc

Gus
96 STS N* Power

·
Registered
353 Posts
haha Max what is your best time with the Goat? I can't wait till you get those Lt's on without cats ;) to see what you pick up with them. You still going to get the intake one of these days>? keep us posted. Oh BTW I posted your headers pics that you are looking at under the Headers thread. They look sweet!! :party:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I ran a high 13 with a 2.2 60' on a Saturday but they prep the heck out of the track and you only get two runs if you are "street."

I go on Wednesdays and it only cost 15 bucks for about 7 runs and that starts in February. I started AT 14.1 in a stock 310 HP LS1 so I'm just wondering why I would get a 15. Yes of course you will need tires sometime but to lose 2 seconds is bad I would expect a good driver with decent tires to get high 13's and gain .3 tenths with some ET's or Nitto DR's so the 15 figure just doesn't make sense to me Honda 4 bangers run 15's out at my track lol. Oh yeah l will get that taller intake if someone tells me if the stock TB mounts up to it and that I don't have to buy a 500.00 specilaized throttle body like with the other Intake kits like "FAST" and "NEX" otherwise I will skip it and oh yeah thanks for the pics I will head over there.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It's a combination type effect of of all your intake mods but the throttlebody alone wouldn't result in anything noticable. If combined with a CAI and MAF ends and a larger upper plenum though it would even out your air flow and help your gains, not by much though but it's chromed and polished and only 149.00. The only reason I am considering one is because the websites are vague on whether you can retain your stoch TB if you change your plenum (where they connect.)

And wouldn't it look bad to have a polished intake on top of your engine with a polished TB that was stamped SLP on top?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts