Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4700 miles on my car and the drive axle has come off the pumpkin on the left side. On the right side all the bolts are loose. Any one else have this problem? I've driven the car hard but come on!!! One of the [email protected]#bags at the dealership tried to tell me I snapped the universal!!!! WTF is he talking about, the bolts that hold the drive axle to the pumpkin are GONE, not broke off or stripped out...GONE!! Like they walked them selves out......I'm sooooo pissed. And on top of it, the same [email protected]#bag tried to tell me it was from hole shots. I've talked to a few others that have limited experience with LS1 equiped cars and they told the guy was full of bull$#@! Any one else have this problem? Please let me know if you have. I have a feeling the dealership is going to try and screw me over. :confused

·
Registered
26 Posts
There is a TSB on this. Other 04s have had the same problem. The 05s use loctite on the axle bolts now , where the 04s did not. The dealer is in denial, GM knows the problem exists. Go over the dealer's head if you have to.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. The bastards at the dealership tried to tell me I snapped the "universal" by doing hole shots. I started to argue that the bolts were completely gone and one guy actually replied, "There are no bolts there, its just a universal!" Word for word, I about dropped him where he stood. I was sooooo pissed off!
What is the TSB number or where can I find it so I can take it to the dealer on Monday and shove it in their damn face.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. The dealership was kissing my butt. I got a 2005 Cadillac CTS with less than 600 miles as a loaner while they fixed my car. Also gave my three free oil changes. That smoothed things over pretty well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did you hear a funny noise coming from the rear end before you had the problem with the axle? I have been to the dealership twice complaining of a rattling sound coming from the rear end when I let the clutch out. They have brushed me off both times, but I didn't really push the issue. I am starting to think that maybe I should.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Palmer said:
DEALER, Do you think this is something that we should get checked?
Most definetly!! I have been through two rear axles (drag radials & hard launches) and both started with rear end noises. Also, I have had my rear end fluid changed twice, both times the fluid was broke down and my clutches were chattering so I added aftermarket fluid and it seemed to help. I have noticed that if you race your car or drive it hard you need extra capacity in the diff, we offer this with the BMR rear mount. If you guys need anything else let me know. :cheers

·
Registered
590 Posts
Is there a VIN cutoff for the TSB ?

Anyway to get copy of it ?

I'm skeered now.

What rear end lubricant do you recommend DEALER ?

Got a line on some BG synthetic. Anyone have experience with BG prods.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I don't have a BG source, I used the Lubrimatic 75w-140 synthetic (I know it sounds cheap but it's the only one that is OEM approved) and the GM friction modifier (pn 89021958)! Make sure you only use 75W-140 synthetic!!! I don't have a way to scan the bulletin so I'll quote it word for word.....
1. Under extreme driving conditions the rear axle shaft bolts may become loose. Inspect the bolts and replace any bolts that have been damaged.
I'm sorry for not having the ability to scan, I hope this helps! Don't worry!
Thanks, Steve A. :cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.