Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve owned several c5’s, but have never had any of them put on a dyno. I have heard just like many of you that the c5’s lose more power through the drive train than the f-bodies. I do believe this to be true. My 98 c5, auto with the performance gear was rated at 345 hp at the fly wheel and my buddies’ 2001 z28 was rated at 310 hp. When we would race he would always pull on me and at the track would always have a few mph’s more than me. The reason I am bringing this up is that I don’t believe things have really changed that much when comparing the new c6 to the 05 GTO to drive train loss. Now I’m not saying that the GTO will beat a c6, but I was wondering how the two dyno compared to each other. They are both rated at the same hp and yes the GTO does out weight it, but it does have better gearing and less drive train loss. Has anyone seen these two cars dynode stock or has any one with these two vehicles raced. My buddy has a 05 c6, but has now put the 1.85 rockers on his car, so I never got a chance to race him stock. We are both autos and I’m curious how close it might have been stock.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
The C5 Auto was a lot less efficient at getting power to the ground than the F-Body. I have seen dyno tests from a speed shop and comparing 2001-2002 F-bodies to the same year C5's, the automatic F-Bods would put 15-20 more hp to the wheels. The difference for the 6 speed was a lot less, somewhere in the 5-10 hp range. That difference came from the IRS in the Vette being less efficient and the exhaust and intake being more restrictive in the Vette. I believe the GTO and the Corvette, 04 to 04 or 05 to 05 have the same rear ends and transmisions on 6 speeds, the Auto is different in the two cars. From the dyno results that I've seen comparing the 04' GTO to the Vette are almost identical numbers with the GTO having a slight edge (5rwhp) in automatic cars. For 05, the Vette has a redesigned tail end and some underbody redesign that allows a better flowing exhaust. I would guess that the two should be almost equal power wise.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts