Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,541 Posts
GTODAVE05 said:
Just curious here! Has anyone put on the straight driveshaft and got rid of the 2-piece one and any probs with it on their m6? All comments appreciated :cheers
We've done a few of them, one customer wanted because he was upgrading soon (more power), another one we installed a Procharger on (455 rwhp!!), and another was having a STS put on (before we were a STS dealer)! It's kind of a pain to install but the results are worth it! I stock the BMR for the M6 @ $879.00 + shipping! :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Newbee here. I'm also interested in the one piece prop shafts. Wheel hop issues are my main concern. I'm going to wait til I install the "Harrop" axle cover though. Being an engineering technician for GM here at the Desert Proving Grounds, I'm always sceptical of aftermarket equipment because they don't usually have the resources, or budget, to fully test their products and/or don't inform you of the negative aspects if they do. There's a reason for the two piece prop, weather its noise & vibe issues, gear slap/wear, durability, or what ever, but there is almost certianly a down side to the one piecers. The one piecer would be a lot less expensive, so GM must have had a good reason to use the two piece. I'm currantly trying to get in touch with our counter parts down under for more info. I'll post it when I know more if anyone is interested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
mumrah - If there is any improvement, in additional hp, it would be so minute, it's immeasurable. It's more for strength. Kinda like the difference between a live axle and an IRS.



GMDPGGTO - you've made a good point, auto-makers aren't the biggest idiots out there, for them to go to a multiple piece drive shaft, they had to for a reason. My guess, and only a guess, would be 2 short DSs would create less vibrations then 1 longer DS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,541 Posts
Clevite 77 said:
mumrah - If there is any improvement, in additional hp, it would be so minute, it's immeasurable. It's more for strength. Kinda like the difference between a live axle and an IRS.



GMDPGGTO - you've made a good point, auto-makers aren't the biggest idiots out there, for them to go to a multiple piece drive shaft, they had to for a reason. My guess, and only a guess, would be 2 short DSs would create less vibrations then 1 longer DS
Agree on hp increase, not very likely.. as for the 2 piece vs 1 piece... you're right GM did it for vibration and noise.. you pick up a little noise but the strength is well worth it!! BTW, the I can make you a deal if you want to buy the Harrop and 1 piece driveshaft together GMDPGGTO!!! Email me!! :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GTODEALER said:
Agree on hp increase, not very likely.. as for the 2 piece vs 1 piece... you're right GM did it for vibration and noise.. you pick up a little noise but the strength is well worth it!! BTW, the I can make you a deal if you want to buy the Harrop and 1 piece driveshaft together GMDPGGTO!!! Email me!! :cheers
I'm just curious how noisy it would be!! And you said install can be a pain in the butt? How's that? What does the harrop do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Thanks GTODEALER...but the cover is already on the way. Got it from Pro Dyno in Tempe, AZ. For some reason he's willing to get me parts for dealer +10%, & I'll need him for dyno & fab work I can't do, down the road, so I figure I should support his business when I can.
You probably know GM upgraded the prop & half shafts(41mm now) on the '05s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,541 Posts
GMDPGGTO said:
Thanks GTODEALER...but the cover is already on the way. Got it from Pro Dyno in Tempe, AZ. For some reason he's willing to get me parts for dealer +10%, & I'll need him for dyno & fab work I can't do, down the road, so I figure I should support his business when I can.
You probably know GM upgraded the prop & half shafts(41mm now) on the '05s.
No problem, yeah I heard they upgraded, but the BMR's are just SO much beefier!!!! :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,541 Posts
GTODAVE05 said:
I'm just curious how noisy it would be!! And you said install can be a pain in the butt? How's that? What does the harrop do?
You get a slight (hardly noticeable!) noise when at freeway speed, nothing to be alarmed about. Most customers with exhaust or the radio on never hear it! The Harrop rear cover is an upgraded mount that helps to stabilize the rear end by adding a mounting point and it also adds fluid!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top