Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I am in the market for an 06 GTO. I will be purchasing one in the next couple of months. I currently live in MS and traffic is no problem. I am moving to Houston in September of this year. I was wondering if anyone routinely got into traffic jams with their 6-speed cars? How well does it behave? I figured with 400 ftlbs of torque it would be fairly manageable in slow driving (not having to change gears a lot). I drove an 05 with a 6-spd and one with an auto. The auto is obviously not near as much fun. Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated. First post, love the forum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i drive my '06 6 speed every day in rush hour chicago traffic. it drives wonderfully. i wouldn't give up the manual for anything. believe it or not the clutch action is pretty effortless. i highly recommend a gto 6 speed, you won't regret it!

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I always did the 2-4 deal in traffic. You can start out just fine in 2nd, then hold it a little higher than normal and go to 4th. It saves some shifting and clutch work, plus with the torque you can shoot into gaps with 2nd better than just about anybody. This also eliminates skip shift.

The shifter seems rubbery and not very precise. I couldn't recomend the B&M shifter from my experience, but the GMM seems to get great reviews. The Clutch is very light and releases high in the pedal, so it is easy to use in traffic.

Performance wise there is not much difference between the auto and the stick in the GTO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Goat's got so much torque that it's very easy to crawl in traffic by simply feathering the clutch. No gas needed. I also use the "2nd gear" trick that someone else mentioned. Can't do that in my 4-banger Mazda!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
CrazyAL said:
Thanks a lot guys. I will take all that into consideration. Looks like the six speed is gonna be the way I go. I might have to hit the leg machines at the gym a little more!:willy:
You won't need to after driving a 6 speed in trafic for a month!! lol:lol:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Also - if you just let the clutch out slowly into 1st, you do not need to apply has and the GTO will not buck or stall like all other manual vehicles. has some throttle control that automatically applies just enough throttle. Pretty cool feature in traffic.

I have the 6M, but I live in Toledo, Oh and we have pretty light traffic. If I knew I was going to be stuck in traffic every day, I'd buy an auto car - probably the Pontiac GXP - shifting gears is fun, but not in bumper to bumper everyday. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I live in the Houston area and I wouldn't give up my m6. I drive from Spring, which is just north of Houston, all the way to Hobby Airport area. I also do the 2nd to 4th in traffic. The car is a blast and like you said the 6 speed is a lot more fun!:D

Good luck with your purchase. What color are you looking at.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I have more miles on my Holden than probably anyone in the country (possible the world?), much of that in LA traffic.

The clutch on theses cars are great, light action and good engagement. The torque of the engines helps as well.

The OEM shifter is a foul, nasty, horrible thing. Sh1tcan it immediately. I went with a B&M-- don't go there. They suck. Buy a GMM.

Your mileage does take a huge hit in stop-n-go traffic, but there you go.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm thinking either orange or one of the reds. I like both of the reds, torrid and spice. Haven't seen an orange car in person yet. I have a 68 Chevelle SS 396, it is hugger orange and it is super easy to keep clean. I'm for sure done with black (even though the black cars are beautiful) my daily driver now is a black Z71 and it is impossible to keep clean and it shows the smallest scratches. A local dealer is supposed to be getting an orange one in a couple weeks I'm gonna check it out for sure.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
CrazyAL said:
I'm thinking either orange or one of the reds. I like both of the reds, torrid and spice. Haven't seen an orange car in person yet. I have a 68 Chevelle SS 396, it is hugger orange and it is super easy to keep clean. I'm for sure done with black (even though the black cars are beautiful) my daily driver now is a black Z71 and it is impossible to keep clean and it shows the smallest scratches. A local dealer is supposed to be getting an orange one in a couple weeks I'm gonna check it out for sure.
I've got a '68 Chevelle as well (although my SS is cloned). It was a Malibu in it's first life.

I'm thinking this Spring it may go up for sale. Prices on those old muscle cars are going crazy- - -

·
Registered
418 Posts
Only thing I can add is, Do you plan on drag racing it ?
If so get ready for wheelhop,the manuals have a terrible time with traction,wheelhop and breaking parts. Besides that its pretty much personal taste.
I like cruising in comfort and drag racing so the auto made more sense for me.
It does get 2-3mpg less than the stick since the M6 has two overdrives with 6th gear being .50 overdrive.. My friends 04 M6 gets [email protected] while I get 21-22mpg

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
HTRDLNCN said:
Only thing I can add is, Do you plan on drag racing it ?
If so get ready for wheelhop,the manuals have a terrible time with traction,wheelhop and breaking parts. Besides that its pretty much personal taste.
I like cruising in comfort and drag racing so the auto made more sense for me.
It does get 2-3mpg less than the stick since the M6 has two overdrives with 6th gear being .50 overdrive.. My friends 04 M6 gets [email protected] while I get 21-22mpg

I won't be doing any drag racing (except ocassional redlight matches). I really just want something fun to drive with plenty of power to get around in traffic. I noticed there was a pretty big difference in the tach at 80mph b/t the two. Thats about what I figured the gas milage difference would be.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
noz34me said:
I've got a '68 Chevelle as well (although my SS is cloned). It was a Malibu in it's first life.

I'm thinking this Spring it may go up for sale. Prices on those old muscle cars are going crazy- - -

Mine is cloned too. Makes them more fun b/c you don't have to worry so much about driving them. If it were original I would not enjoy it near as much. I think I will be doing a leg the Power Tour with it this year. I know if I were to sell mine I would regret it immediatley.

·
Registered
224 Posts
noz34me said:

Im going to be buried in my '68 Chevelle, it was my first car and it will be my last:D I also agree go with the 6 speed:cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.