Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume all GTO's and new cars have 'em. I HATE THEM!!! :willy: I happy to see that the GTO is a fuse to disconnect them. Has anyone else done this? If you cant see someone coming in broad daylight you should be driving!!! :confused

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
bigmac said:
I assume all GTO's and new cars have 'em. I HATE THEM!!! :willy: I happy to see that the GTO is a fuse to disconnect them. Has anyone else done this? If you cant see someone coming in broad daylight you should be driving!!! :confused

Why pull the fuse when you can disable them from the onboard computer?

I chose to leave mine on, because I want someone to see me coming. You'd be surprised at all the "blind" people driving.... At least with the day lights other drivers should see me. The operative word is should.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I agree with leaving them on.

In my younger days, when I thought I knew everything, I rode a motorcyle and always rode with the headlight on. After maturing into a responsible husband and father of two children, I gave up the motorcycle and began driving a car with the headlights on--before the days of Day time running lights. Dozens of people a day would flash their headlights and tell me at stop lights that my headlights were on. Then AAA did a study and convinced me that I was doing the right thing. They are not yet standard on Ford products, so I had them installed.
When the wife drives the GTO and is behind me I can spot her in an instant with those unique DTR lights.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm not a fan of using the headlights for daytime. I don't have them on my GP, but I always drive around with the driving lights on so the corners and tails are lit up. Some GM cars are using the amber lights instead as well. The newer GP and some Caddys for example. Those are bright and stand out much better then dim headlights that just blend in with any reflection from the sun.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Daytime running lights are a good thing.

Idiots that drive in fog with only daytime running lights, is not a good thing, because THERE ARE NO TAIL LIGHTS!

It's amazing to me that people are so stupid as to think because they have their "headlights" on, people can see them from the rear in dense fog!

One other item that will confuse the lame minded: Recessed gauges that have their backlit displays on continuously. I've read that a lot of people look at the guages, and because they are lit, assume their headlights are on.

I feel like saying, get your heads out of your arses, the cell phone out of your ear if you can't multi-task, and focus on DRIVING.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The goat's DRLs are darn near as bright as when the headlights are on, which is good. In my other vehicles, I too have the lights on day and night. What amazes me is that there are so many folks that don't turn their lights on early in the morning when it's still dark, when it's foggy or during heavy rain.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I believe it is a relay, rather than a fuse, that you pull to disable the lights. The good thing about having a choice is that you get to decide for youself. The first mod I did on mine was chucking the DRL relay. Next to die was the skip shift..........

·
Registered
81 Posts
My 99 Saab had DRL's that could be turned off by removing a fuse from the fuse panel, but I have come to realize that they are pretty important...plus I think they look mean as hell on the GTO's, especially in a rear view mirror.

....Still hasnt stopped people from pulling out in front/ on top of me...drivers suck in NC. The only thing you can really trust is your own reaction time.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Good 2 go said:
What amazes me is that there are so many folks that don't turn their lights on early in the morning when it's still dark, when it's foggy or during heavy rain.
I'm telling you, the populace, in general, is too stupid to think of it. In their minds, if the headlights are on, then surely the tail lights must be too.

I drive a lot, just getting to work, and the most amazing thing I've found is that gray or silver cars, which are THE most invisible in fog are the most likely not to turn their lights on.

·
Registered
148 Posts
GTO judge said:
Why pull the fuse when you can disable them from the onboard computer?

I chose to leave mine on, because I want someone to see me coming. You'd be surprised at all the "blind" people driving.... At least with the day lights other drivers should see me. The operative word is should.
Judge,
How do you disable the DRL using the onboard computer?:cheers

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
cat1055man said:
Judge,
You'll have to go through your different modes and familiarize yourself with the different functions. Without me physically getting in my car and going through the process I cannot remember the exact steps. I did come across this when I was setting up my functions. In the one menu it did ask me if I wanted to disable the DRL and it was preset to no. Perhaps it's in the manual.

Maybe one of the guys on here are familiar with the steps to get to this function. When I get in my car again I will try and remember to write down the exact steps.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I haven't seen this, maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'd just like to keep the law from seeing me. Torrid Red is bad enough much less the DRL. I checked twice and didn't see the option on the computer.:confused

·
Registered
388 Posts
cat1055man said:
Judge,
There are two menus. The "setup" menu can be accessed when you start the car and after it goes through the onboard tests. I'm assuming that's the one you have gone through, and there is no option to turn them off.

The "other" menu can be accessed by turning your key completely off. Hold down both the "mode" and "set" buttons, and turn the key on while holding them down, then just hit the "mode" button to go through the entries. One of them tells you whether the DRLs are enabled or not, but as far as I can tell, there's no way to change it.

I do find that pretty stupid too...there's entries in that "other" menu that can only be significant if you are moving, but as far as I know, there's no way to enter that menu unless you do so from a complete ignition-off state. Maybe there is a way...heck, it is not even advertised in the manual.

Gerry

·
Registered
304 Posts
I like 'em and even wish they "flashed" a little like some motorcycle headlights do. Maybe people would get out of the damn passing lane more if they saw flashing lights behind them........

JET

·
Registered
388 Posts
J.E.T. said:
I like 'em and even wish they "flashed" a little like some motorcycle headlights do. Maybe people would get out of the damn passing lane more if they saw flashing lights behind them........

JET
That is so funny...I was just sitting here thinking about how much fun it would have been to own this car when I was stationed in Germany. On the Autobahn, if you saw a couple flashes in the rear-view, that was your cue to get the hell out of the way, and people actually respond. Most all German drivers are better than Americans.

I have to disagree with you on the flashing lights. I find them pretty annoying on motorcycles, and if all cars did that as well, it would be very distracting for the drones who have hard enough time dealing with the thought that they don't have to have a cell phone plastered to their heads 24x7.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
hmmmmmmmm. I stand corrected...... I could have sworn I saw that option in my set up menu. Maybe I was thinking of my wifes Gran-Am GT. I just went all through my options and I cannot find it. :confused

Sorry bout that cat.man.... I guess pulling the fuse is the solution

·
Registered
304 Posts
ShoddyHog said:
That is so funny...I was just sitting here thinking about how much fun it would have been to own this car when I was stationed in Germany. On the Autobahn, if you saw a couple flashes in the rear-view, that was your cue to get the hell out of the way, and people actually respond. Most all German drivers are better than Americans.

I have to disagree with you on the flashing lights. I find them pretty annoying on motorcycles, and if all cars did that as well, it would be very distracting for the drones who have hard enough time dealing with the thought that they don't have to have a cell phone plastered to their heads 24x7.
Did a two year term there myself.......man, wouldn't this car have been nice over there?

JET

·
Registered
388 Posts
J.E.T. said:
Did a two year term there myself.......man, wouldn't this car have been nice over there?

JET
Oh man...it would have been sweet as hell, ESPECIALLY with other drivers on the road that are courteous. Have you just cruised in this thing at 100? I could ride all day in this car at that speed like nothing, and as I'm sure you know, the Autobahn is built for the speed too.

I owned a little Datsun wagon while there, but when my fiance (now wife) came over to visit, I rented a Saab 9000i, then a 9000 Turbo when my sister-in-law and bro-in-law came over. The Saab was good enough, but we beat on that Turbo and had a great time blasting around with it.

I'd trade both of them for the GTO though...I can easily picture myself tooling around Europe in this car.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ok

So if you pull the fuse, does that totally kill the lights at night?

And while were on this sort of topic, How do you have you horn honk only when locking, not when you un-lock, I hate the three honks when you un lock. Can you change this.

·
Registered
388 Posts
RipTheSix said:
So if you pull the fuse, does that totally kill the lights at night?

And while were on this sort of topic, How do you have you horn honk only when locking, not when you un-lock, I hate the three honks when you un lock. Can you change this.
What year do you have? I have a '06 and it doesn't honk when I lock or unlock.

Gerry

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.