Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
immediately after removing the big v-shaped tow package brave directly underneath the spare tire well, the car now has this annoying drone at idle and certain low rpm's? what the heck is this? nothing was removed other than the brace?

·
Registered
569 Posts
MJGTOWISH said:
I Do Not Know But I Would Put It Back
Based on what knowledge, experience or reasoning? Not saying he should or shouldn't put it back, but "I don't know, but I would put it back" isn't helping anyone.

Can you describe the droning? Is it like an exhaust drone, or is it possible something is hitting somewhere now that you messed around under there? Did you put the plastic shield back up or leave it off?
Joe

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Somehow, removing this piece has changed the vehicle harmonics.

While engineers are required to add certain items to meet safety specifications, from the publications I've read, ALL auto manufacturers are hell bent to reduce weight in all their cars, not just high performance ones. It's unlikely they're designing in additional bracing just for kicks.

Removing loose items or upholstery is one thing. Tearing into the structure of a car is another, and my guess is removing items of this type will compromise something else down the road.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is an exhaust drone at low RPM. it seems as it could be some sort of harmonics issue possibly as well? noting else was touched and i checked all around under there. everything seems fine. what do you guys know about that brace? it's smach dab in the middle of the car under the spare tire well. it couldn't have any structural benefit from what i see, and if it is actually a tow brace, how would that negatively effect the car by removing it? where would a tow package mount to on that v-shaped tow brace?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.