Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys/gals, I am new to the forum, I recently test drove a 6 speed 05 and I was super impressed with the quality of the interior and moreover the exaust note was pure music! (as good if not better than my Z)

I currently have a 03 Z06 vette which I love, but changes family wise (expecting our 2nd child in January) have me looking around for something with some semblance of back seats. The GTO and the M3 vert (used of course $$$$) are among the contenders if I have my way. I am really leaning towards the Goat because of the price.

My question to you is, anything to look for when buying either new or used? any must have options?

I will only buy 2005+ because of the styling/LS2 update

also, anyone else here make the transition from Z06 to GTO? what were your impressions?

Lastly many compliments on your cars from a Z06 guy

Don

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not very many problems with the 05+ as there were with the 04. 04s had some electrical gremlins but still are pretty sound. There are a few lemons as it is with any other cars but just check the car for normal signs of abuse and/or care. BTW Check your PMs. :cool Edit: GTO>M3

·
Registered
455 Posts
DonWarren2 said:
My question to you is, anything to look for when buying either new or used? any must have options?
One thing that makes it easy with the GTO is that there were no options. Well, you could pick from a small selection of exterior colors. And, depending on your exterior color, you could select one of 3 interior colors. Then there is M6 vs A4. And lastly 17" or 18" wheels. That is the sum of factory-installed options, which rather makes it easy :) A few colors (red, black, and silver) had a Sports Appearance Package (SAP) available as a dealer-installed add on. The SAPs are cosmetic only.

I can't think of hardly anything different to look at with used GTOs that are any different from other cars. You may wish to check the inner edges of the tires (do a search for "strut rub" on this forum or in general). The fuel rail cover issue is so far just 04 only.

I'd check for the presence of mods. Some people mod their cars fine, but other people mod their vehicles so they can beat the heck out of it or do not properly install their mods. YMMV.

Good luck with your hunting. The GTO is a good quality car, and a very good bang for the buck. I'm sure you could get a new GTO for less than a 1-2 year old used M3; think of the extra money you could put toward a baby crib or something. :D

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
If you plan on actually using the back seat for anything other than packages, make sure you can tolerate the slooooooooowwwww seat speed.

I rarely have to use the back seat since we're empty nesting now, and I wish I had a manual release instead of the motor. Can't imagine dealing with it on a daily basis.

I couldn't afford a car like this when we had young kids, but if I could have, I would probably opt for a Charger or BMW; something with power AND 4 doors.

·
Registered
98 Posts
C5ORGTO said:
I have a 6 year old son that I pick up from School everyday. It is a minor nuisance to wait on the seat to move, but I've gotten used to it.
+1
I have a 7 year old daughter that I drive to school every morning. She's so skinny she just scoots in without my having to move the seat up. lol
If I have to lean in there for anything though, I have to move it and wait.

·
Registered
364 Posts
C5ORGTO said:
I have a 6 year old son that I pick up from School everyday. It is a minor nuisance to wait on the seat to move, but I've gotten used to it.

I drive my 6 year old son also in the GTO everyday. I don't even move the seat for him. I only move the seat up for adults getting in and out. Kids that are shorter and weigh less then 75lbs have no trouble slinking into the back seat. Added plus is that once there, the leg room is better than most cars including my Durango. He still sits in a booster and his feet don't come close to touching the front seat like they do in the Durango.

If buying through a new car dealer try to get the oil changes for free. I got it for mine and based on the price of Mobile1 it is a great deal!

:party:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.