Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1966 YS 389 block. I want to eventually purchase a tri-power setup for it. Since it did not originally come with the tri-power setup, I just want to make sure this is feasible before I start collecting parts up.

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
179 Posts
:cool: All the Pontiac BLOCKS are externally similar (the cast-in engine mounts are different on some models). There are two versions of Pontiac HEADS: those with the run-of-the-mill "D" shape exhaust ports and those high-performance versions with the "O" shaped exhaust ports.

As long as your INTAKE MANIFOLD matches up with your HEADS you're okay. So, YES, there shouldn't be an issue putting a tri-power INTAKE on your engine.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Tiretread, there is NO difference between a '66 YS block and heads and a '66 WS block or YR tripower block and heads, except for the tripower intake bolted to them. Direct, factory fit, and guaranteed to make the car scream. Go for it! A '66 tripower unit will bolt onto any '65-'81 Pontiac engine except the 301.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I thought so but i've been accused of being a cut first, measure later, kind of guy and didn't want to go down the road with this build.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
the YS block just has the 4bbl. camshaft, that you will replace with an 068 or a different grind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts