Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
MJGTOWISH said:
Hi,

Can are goats run are e85 ? If so I think this would help some of the mpg and price problems for some of are members plus it has an better octane rating than gas.

Here Is link so you can find a station near you

http://afdcmap2.nrel.gov/locator/FindPane.asp

And so more info about it

http://autos.msn.com/as/minishow/article.aspx?contentID=4024000&s=bibendum2006

I will try to find some more info about it if I do I will posy

Why risk it? There is still uncertainty of the long term effects of E85 on flex fuel engines. No one can honestly tell you what the internal components of the engine will look like at 100,00 miles. Maintenance costs? More up keep on the engine, the same, or less? The Gov't is rushing to get this on the market and my car will not be a guinea pig. From news accounts and different articles I have read on the stuff, I get conflicting information on it. The local news did a story on it and they reported that although it is cheaper to use the E85 the MPG is less. Why put a cheaper grade in the engine to save $ and use more of it? Let alone the ramifications of possible internal damage as a result of using it. Makes no sense. When I purchased my 1988 4Runner Ethanol was still available. My 4Runner came with a lifetime engine warranty as long as I used Quaker State Oil. Right around that time Quaker State had issues with the quality of the oil. In that warranty it was clearly stated that the use of Ethanol would void the warranty..... My 4Runner is a 4cyl not a 6.0L. I don't care what the annalists say about E85, the jury is still out on the long term effects of it's use.

Besides, as it was stated by many on here, if fuel costs is an issue, don't buy the GTO, It's a simple decision to make. To me it isn't cost effective, and worth the worry of using it. I honestly would not believe the service guys, and dealers if they say use it. It is just now being reintroduced. It didn't last the first time, and I'll be surprised if lasts this time. There is more money in oil than corn, if you jet my jist.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
The GTO will not run on E85. Don't try it.

As for the MPG statement, E85 yeilds less MPG than gasoline so there is no help there either. Put the good stuff in it that your car was designed to run on. In the long run it will be cheaper due to maintenance issues.

If you want an economy vehicle buy a Honda Fit or a Toyota Yaris, if you want performance you need to be prepared to pay for it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I actually put some in to up the octane once. It ran great, but set off the CEL. I just filled up with regular gasoline (no ethanol) and it's run fine ever since. The thing with E85 is that it's really corrosive, especially to rubber parts and our cars aren't set up for that.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only reason why i put this on here is because of all the mpg threads. Yeah you get 20% less fuel ecuomny but they are ready put 10% in the fuel we use anyway the they should rasie the amouant used in gasoline that should lower the price, I called few gas stations the lowest pricie got in my area was 2.00 and the highest was 3.01

(when you go to the gas station you should see the 10% ethanol added around the pump)

·
Registered
388 Posts
MJGTOWISH said:
The only reason why i put this on here is because of all the mpg threads. Yeah you get 20% less fuel ecuomny but they are ready put 10% in the fuel we use anyway the they should rasie the amouant used in gasoline that should lower the price, I called few gas stations the lowest pricie got in my area was 2.00 and the highest was 3.01

(when you go to the gas station you should see the 10% ethanol added around the pump)
I filled up 40 miles from home on Monday, twice back and forth to work yesterday and today (all highway miles doing 80-85+), one trip into town, and tonight I had a couple easy 100MPH runs to go shopping and have dinner with the wife...on the way back, I absolutely embarrased a SHO to the tune of about 120 (he'd given up by then), and drove her hard the rest of the way back.

I just now am touching the red, and still at 22MPG for the tank. That's good enough for me. :cool And I haven't burnt a drop of oil.

Gerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.