Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil hit $60/barrel today. E85 is available here, for 1.74/gal vs Reglar gasoline for 2.23. What would it take to convert the LS2 to run on E85? Or possibly Liquid Propane?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For anyone interested, who lives in Illinois, there is a state funded reimbursement program to pay 80% of the cost of conversion to E85. There is also a program to subsudize up to 340.00/yr of your fuel costs (if you keep your reciepts for E85 purchases).

I also did some research and found E85 varies from 100 -110 octane. Makes me wonder if I could mix a little in with some Regular 87 gasoline to up the octane instead of buying premium?

·
Registered
364 Posts
"Is it possible to convert a vehicle that was designed for gasoline to operate on E85? Yes. However, there are no conversion or aftermarket parts that have been certified by the EPA as meeting the standards to maintain clean exhaust emissions. Technically speaking, converting a vehicle that was designed to operate on unleaded gasoline only to operate on another form of fuel is a violation of the federal law and the offender may be subject to significant penalties. No aftermarket conversion company has taken the initiative to certify an E85 kit that would allow a gasoline vehicle to operate on 85% ethanol. "

http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/faqs/conversion.php

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
mumrah said:
"Is it possible to convert a vehicle that was designed for gasoline to operate on E85? Yes. However, there are no conversion or aftermarket parts that have been certified by the EPA as meeting the standards to maintain clean exhaust emissions. Technically speaking, converting a vehicle that was designed to operate on unleaded gasoline only to operate on another form of fuel is a violation of the federal law and the offender may be subject to significant penalties. No aftermarket conversion company has taken the initiative to certify an E85 kit that would allow a gasoline vehicle to operate on 85% ethanol. "

http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/faqs/conversion.php
That's really interesting, I didn't know that.

·
Registered
565 Posts
There is nothing certified by the EPA because switching a car's fuel source is considered changing one of the basic designs of the car. We all know that there are many tedious requirements and things of that sort that need to be passed for a car design to be allowed here in the US. So if you just started randomly changing some principle parts of the car... well that just wouldnt work according to our government.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts