Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had been collecting dash pieces one by one and have accumulated a gauge cluster and rally clock. The gauge cluster is stamped "APR 3 68" and has "idiot lights" for oil and water.

While I was searching for a dash to house these in, I ended up picking up a dash with a whole set of gauges already installed, which was apparently from another '68 but I can't find the date stamp on it. This gauge cluster is identical with the exception of having actual water and oil gauges.

Both sets of gauges look pretty clean. My car was built in February '68. Obviously the gauges stamped for April were made afterward but I am wondering which gauges are "factory correct"... Should a Feb. '68 car have gauges or lights for oil and water? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Mine has guages for water, fuel and oil press. and an idiot light for generator. I'm at work so I can't get the date codes right now, maybe later this weekend I could get that for you.

Attachments

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
So I had been collecting dash pieces one by one and have accumulated a gauge cluster and rally clock. The gauge cluster is stamped "APR 3 68" and has "idiot lights" for oil and water.

While I was searching for a dash to house these in, I ended up picking up a dash with a whole set of gauges already installed, which was apparently from another '68 but I can't find the date stamp on it. This gauge cluster is identical with the exception of having actual water and oil gauges.

Both sets of gauges look pretty clean. My car was built in February '68. Obviously the gauges stamped for April were made afterward but I am wondering which gauges are "factory correct"... Should a Feb. '68 car have gauges or lights for oil and water? Thanks for your help!
Depends on what's on your PHS. Rally gauges, like the one 68GTO400 has, were an option. The idiot lights like the one that's stamped APR 3 68 were standard.

·
Registered
659 Posts
hmmm I need to do that PHS thing, I had no idea those were optional gages, I knew the tack instead of the clock was an option, but I didn't know gages over idiot lights. Looks like my idiot light is on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm I need to do that PHS thing, I had no idea those were optional gages, I knew the tack instead of the clock was an option, but I didn't know gages over idiot lights. Looks like my idiot light is on.
I have been procrastinating on ordering those as well... I think I like the "rally gauges" better anyway tho... so I'm betting that if my PHS docs say it came with the standard gauges, I'll still be putting in the rally gauges :cool

With the tachometer, I was under the impression that the hood tach was the "option" and if you selected that you got the clock and if not, the in dash tach came standard?

·
Registered
704 Posts
does not matter what dates, no one is going to tell once installed unless you show them by the PHS that it did not come with gauges.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
I have been procrastinating on ordering those as well... I think I like the "rally gauges" better anyway tho... so I'm betting that if my PHS docs say it came with the standard gauges, I'll still be putting in the rally gauges :cool

With the tachometer, I was under the impression that the hood tach was the "option" and if you selected that you got the clock and if not, the in dash tach came standard?
Yes, the hood tach was an option and may be tied to the clock too. You could have a seperate hood tach option and clock option. So you could have,or not, a hood tach with a clock. It doesn't appear it was standard to get a clock if you had a hood tach, but was an option. There is a Rally Gauge/ Instrument Panel Tach option and a Rally Gauge/Clock option. Standard was no clock and no tach. I have a delete plate for the clock/panel tach....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts