Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Of course it will effect performance. When you are at a higher elevation the air is thinner. The two fuel sources an engine needs is gas and air. The more air going in the more gas that can go in giving you more power. The less air, the less gas, less power. That is why airplanes can only fly so high, the atmosphere gets too thin for the engines to keep running.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UdnUdnGTO said:
Used to live in Wyoming. Figure that you will loose about 20% horsepower unless you have forced induction, That is a different story

By the end of next year I plan on FI, but for now, I guess I should just go with a CAI. I never would have thought 20%, makes me wanna hurry up and graduate so I can get back to Cali :lol:

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I read an article somewhere, and these 2 numbers stuck. At 5,280 ft (one mile up) an average piston engine without forced induction loses about 25% of its hp. That means the guys in Denver really only get 300hp in their LS2's. You don't notice it so much unless you try to run a WRX or an EVO. The second part was at 10,000 ft the same piston engine loses about 60% due to the air thinning more rapidily as you go up in altitude. That means when you cross the Rockies coming out of Denver you have a 180hp GTO.

I'd bet Groucho would know the exact numbers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fergyflyer said:
I read an article somewhere, and these 2 numbers stuck. At 5,280 ft (one mile up) an average piston engine without forced induction loses about 25% of its hp. That means the guys in Denver really only get 300hp in their LS2's. You don't notice it so much unless you try to run a WRX or an EVO. The second part was at 10,000 ft the same piston engine loses about 60% due to the air thinning more rapidily as you go up in altitude. That means when you cross the Rockies coming out of Denver you have a 180hp GTO.

I'd bet Groucho would know the exact numbers.

So wouldn't the same apply to EVOs and WRXs in this area, or is the effect greater on the LS2?

·
Registered
268 Posts
At 18,000 feet you have 50% less O2. And that is based on a standard day (59 degrees and 29.92 on the pressure) , hotter than standard days and the density altitude is higher. At 7000' on a hot day your car thinks it is around 9000' feet or so. So ya, it KILLS your power, unless your turbo or supercharged...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.