Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup! That's what it looked like.:lol:

I've never had a car that could do that. Of course, practical me, I immediately thought of the 500 miles or more worth of tread I just left on the pavement.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
11's are for the street, congrats!! Fun stuff! Made the build worth it, gotta love Pontiac torque! I just laugh when I think I have to replace the tires at 5k miles, should put a smile on your face! It sucks trying to get the rubber out of the inner fenderwells. I leave the rubber on my 90 454 SS as a victory badge!

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
In the mid '80's I worked for a large tire company, and had access to an endless supply of 14" bias ply "take offs" for my '65 GTO. They always had about 1/3 of their life left, and they were free. I would burn through them in a week and mount up another set. There were a lot of "elevens" back then, and a lot of rubber smoke inside the car!! I ran bias-belted junk on that car until the early '90's when I'd sort of "matured" and ante'd up for radials......It seems that my u-joints and clutches last forever these days!

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Had a pair of Sears tires years ago that I got used and put on my 73 GS 350 Buick. They made the most acrid green smoke lol. I mean it stunk! Got busted once by a park ranger and he got out and measured em at well over 100 feet long. He chewed me out but I never got in any trouble over it. I remember seeing the speedo hovering around 90 mph in third and the car just sitting there enveloped in smoke. Ah memories.....

Post some pics of those, I was actually considering starting a thread myself on burnouts and road tatoos. There are quite a few at a stoplight in front of the GM Wentzville plant. And it's a flashing yellow. :lol:

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Don't you mean SMOKE factory?? Or are you really rich enough to have your own slick factory built??? Where's MY slick factory?? :)

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
It will double as a smoke factory. Just ship me your new tires. I will gladly mount them, fry them and return them as slicks!!!!:rofl:

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Oh...I see. You're VOLUNTEERING to be my slick factory! How generous!!! (If you videotaped the making of said slicks, it might actually be WORTH it!!) Too funny.......

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After having the new carb installed the timing didn't seem quite right anymore. One of the guys at the garage offered to help me with it for free, so I took him up on the offer.

He got it set and we took it out for a ride. At a stop sign I looked at him and said, how about an eleven? He looked at me a bit confused and then I mashed the "go fast pedal".

"Damn!" was the only thing he said before laughing. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts