Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A young guy in a brand-new Subaru Impreza WRX STI (all-wheel drive, 0-60 around 4.7-5.0 seconds) tested me twice last night . . . and lost. Quick little bugger, that Impreza. I lept ahead both times and stayed there, but he wasn't too far back. Kinda nice to see that the old gal (70,000 miles on my '05 now) still gets up and goes.

·
Registered
282 Posts
A young guy in a brand-new Subaru Impreza WRX STI (all-wheel drive, 0-60 around 4.7-5.0 seconds) tested me twice last night . . . and lost. Quick little bugger, that Impreza. I lept ahead both times and stayed there, but he wasn't too far back. Kinda nice to see that the old gal (70,000 miles on my '05 now) still gets up and goes.
Were you racing from a roll or stop? Do you have any mods?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Nice kill. I've killed about 3 myself (with just headers, cai, and cat-back at the time.....would just slay one now but haven't seen any since new engine build). Out of the hole, unless you have sticky ass tires they'll put a car to car and a half on you quick. It doesn't take long though, you reel them in, pass them up, and just keep on going.

If you are already at highway speed and get up beside one and you both take off, it's not even close, you just walk away from them. They don't have the torque to plow through the air at speed like we do, nor the horsepower to keep them there. I've had a similar experience with and Evo and a SRT4 (no offense Bluebeast).

I haven't come across the new body style STI yet (the fugly ass one that looks like a crossover/hatback/souped-up minivan-thingy. I've heard they have similar performance to the boxy body style with the giant wing on the back that we're all used to.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Stock EVO's and STI's are pretty quick out of the hole. Just like anything else they can be modded too. I know there are a few around here that have 350-400awhp. That may not seem much to some of ya, but with less weight and awd it might put a hurtn' on ya.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Stock EVO's and STI's are pretty quick out of the hole. Just like anything else they can be modded too. I know there are a few around here that have 350-400awhp. That may not seem much to some of ya, but with less weight and awd it might put a hurtn' on ya.
I agree. Throw a little money into an already boosted car and they can get tricky. But the stock turbo 4 bangers out there dont have the chops to keep up with a GTO from a roll. Most trap in the 100-102 range. Even the 5.7 will do a few better than that thru the 1/4.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I know this, if I don't have enough room to get over 100, even with the Z06 I'm usually not running any all wheel drive car from a dig.

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
IMO, AWD is a double-edged sword. Gives you the advantage on a dig (matter of debate), but is a handicap once you're moving. I doubt you'll ever see me buy something with it. Even a 4X4 truck is hard to justify.

·
Registered
377 Posts
IMO, AWD is a double-edged sword. Gives you the advantage on a dig (matter of debate), but is a handicap once you're moving. I doubt you'll ever see me buy something with it. Even a 4X4 truck is hard to justify.
I don't think it's hardly a disadvantage at all. Just look at the new Audi S4, R8, Lamborghini, etc.

I think it's the weight and with the Evo/STi cars, gearing and lag being a problem. Unless of course their system is more parasitic than the Audi which would be an interesting comparison.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Depends on what car/system your talking about. Some are AWD all the time, some are "part time". I don't think its a disadvantage once your moving unless your only talking about stright line what most Americans only know. Systems like in the GTR, EVO, STI, ect. move the power around to where it needs it. For example older and maybe the newer R35 GTR was mostly RWD, Audi's I think is full time AWD, most cars that are full time have a ~60/40 split.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I know this, if I don't have enough room to get over 100, even with the Z06 I'm usually not running any all wheel drive car from a dig.
True that. I tried to play with a stock EVO at a stop sign. Power to power no match. Put it to you this way, he made it across the intersection and all I could do was sit and spin.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I don't think it's hardly a disadvantage at all. Just look at the new Audi S4, R8, Lamborghini, etc.

I think it's the weight and with the Evo/STi cars, gearing and lag being a problem. Unless of course their system is more parasitic than the Audi which would be an interesting comparison.
It all depends on your objective. It's a huge disadvantage for top speed. It's a huge advantage in tight cornering situations. It's also a huge benefit in situations where sand, debris, oil, etc. are encountered while the car is being pushed tat ofr near it's limits. But the toll it takes on fuel mileage is the true reflection of it's efficiency.

I prefer rear wheel drive. I can see merits to front drive and to AWD also. Front drive being lighter and more efficient.

I'll take a Vette over a Porsche Turbo any day of the week. The Z06 performs close to the Turbo, the ZR1 kills the Turbo. Both for a lot less.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It all depends on your objective. It's a huge disadvantage for top speed. It's a huge advantage in tight cornering situations. It's also a huge benefit in situations where sand, debris, oil, etc. are encountered while the car is being pushed tat ofr near it's limits. But the toll it takes on fuel mileage is the true reflection of it's efficiency.

I prefer rear wheel drive. I can see merits to front drive and to AWD also. Front drive being lighter and more efficient.

I'll take a Vette over a Porsche Turbo any day of the week. The Z06 performs close to the Turbo, the ZR1 kills the Turbo. Both for a lot less.
Based on the performance of the Lamborghinis and Veyron vs. their "competition", I don't see the top speed disadvantage at all. I definitely agree with your other points.

I'd would be curious to see a steady 70mph test vs. city or mostly highway driving.

I think the ZR1 outlapped the Turbo by up to 3 seconds at Laguna Seca?

I'd rather have the Turbo. Far more refined, consistently quicker 95% of the time if not more often with the AWD and PDK transmission.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Wow did this thread get edited. LMAO! "Super" :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
When I race an all-wheel drive car I never let them have the pleasure of beating me of the line. I slow play it as if I don't want to run 'em and when they slow back down to match my speed because they assume I have nothing and may be afraid to run, I embarrass the hell out of 'em. :eek: Experience > cockiness. That's how I roll. :D

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Nah its fun to let them beat you off the line, it gives them false hope. Until you run them down, then game over.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Nah its fun to let them beat you off the line, it gives them false hope. Until you run them down, then game over.
I'm with you on this. Run em down and squash them. Don't let up till you have mega buslengths of distance or they'll say they stopped your pull and started closing the gap.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Got a problem with it? When you take it on another level about denying platform sharing when the thread was NOT about that, thats what happens.:rolleyes: No need for ridiculous bickering.
The bickering was started by you. Platform sharing doesn't mean it's the same car.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts