Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use/suggest to strip the old paint off of my enduro bumper? The old stuff is all cracked and nasty and I'd like to get it looking as good as I can before bringing it to the painters. The more prep work I can do now the better. I know it's probably not the best idea to just go at it with the sander.

oh, and does anyone know of a site where I might be able to pick up a trunk lid? after stripping that I notice my grandfather got a little crazy with the bondo along the bottom lip where the pontiac emblem used to be. If I can just pick up a new or nice original that would be sweet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dont use paint stripper on the bumper . Find some one in your area that has the ability to media blast the piece. This is routinely done everyday when they rebuild the plastic bumper covers for the late model cars. Once this is complete , you will then know how bad the cracking problem is. I have seen the endura bumpers cracked way down into the urethane if the cracked areas were exposed to the elements for an extended time. Todays urethane repair materials can be used to repair the bumper but its can be alot of work if there is a lot of cracking.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bumper itself is in great shape, just the paint is cracked. I guess I will just leave it alone for the painters then, thanks for the info on not using stripper on it though.

Haven't been on here in a couple weeks. We found out they are closing our building so I will be out of a job April 1st... sucks, but the good news is that I will be able to get the car painted with part of my severance money, so that makes me happy. I was thinking that wasn't going to be able to get done until next winter, looks like spring now :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts