Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lurked here for some time, and have seen threads on the initial "break in" period for a new LS2 GTO. Since it looks like I may be getting one at the end of today, I would like to know if it is true that you should not go over 55 mph for the first 500 miles. I wanted to get a general consensus on how many did this and if you didn't do you think you should have? I don't plan to run it hard, but would definitely like to get it on the highway. Maybe a little road trip to the other coast of FL this weekend.

I appreciate any input:cheers

·
Registered
98 Posts
SpaceCoast said:
I have lurked here for some time, and have seen threads on the initial "break in" period for a new LS2 GTO. Since it looks like I may be getting one at the end of today, I would like to know if it is true that you should not go over 55 mph for the first 500 miles. I wanted to get a general consensus on how many did this and if you didn't do you think you should have? I don't plan to run it hard, but would definitely like to get it on the highway. Maybe a little road trip to the other coast of FL this weekend.

I appreciate any input:cheers
I have to drive interstate to work everyday and there is no way that I can drive 55mph on the interstate.
When I first got my car I just drove it easy. Didn't take the rpm's above 3500 or go full throttle.

·
Registered
455 Posts
GOGTO007 said:
I have to drive interstate to work everyday and there is no way that I can drive 55mph on the interstate.
When I first got my car I just drove it easy. Didn't take the rpm's above 3500 or go full throttle.
:agree This is exactly what I did.

Now granted there seem to be two main, competing lines of thought: one that you should drive the car hard, the other that you should be somewhat gentle with it.

I also take the highway to work, and (provided traffic isn't in parking lot mode), there was no way I could keep it below 55 and not get run into. But I just accelerated gently, tried to keep the rpms below 2500 for normal stuff and below 3000 at the top, etc. I think there were two times I had to accelerate harder, in which case I think I only took it up to about 3300 or 3500. For standard conservative daily driving, it is very easy to keep the rpms down.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Drive your car with some TLC until you hit the 500 miles mark.... Moderate driving should not affect it. I drove up to 70mph on its maiden voyage home.... Use commom sense until the engine is broken in, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Oh boy. The break in string.
I threw asphalt 400' in the air leaving the dealership with every new car I have ever bought and that's a few. Drive em like Hillary Clinton is behind me wanting sex. ( Hauling ass in other words)....I keep a daily eyeball on all fluid levels. Keep her topped off with oil. Change the oil and filter at the first 500 miles and let her rip with regular OCI's from there. All my cars ran like stripped ass baboons and never had any issues. Well except blowing up a few but that didn't have anything to do with how I break em in :)
Me and this guy agree....
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
GTO judge said:
Drive your car with some TLC until you hit the 500 miles mark.... Moderate driving should not affect it. I drove up to 70mph on its maiden voyage home.... Use commom sense until the engine is broken in, you'll be fine.
Have to agree. The 55 MPH thing is absurd. In the first case, does that mean you can go 55 in 1st gear? If GM wanted to impose restrictions on the first 500, they should have stated the max in RPM's not MPH.

·
Registered
268 Posts
noz34me said:
Have to agree. The 55 MPH thing is absurd. In the first case, does that mean you can go 55 in 1st gear? If GM wanted to impose restrictions on the first 500, they should have stated the max in RPM's not MPH.
I think the RPM thing is more important too,,i could be doing 45 bout at 6100 RPM! Keep the RPM;s in check...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I got her last night and took her into work today. I did go over 70, but kept moderate on the RPM's between shifts. This car is a dream to drive, and even though I miss my vette, so far I am having a blast.

:party:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Whoever wrote the break-in part of the manual should be pistol-whipped. I had the 80 MPH warning going off without even straining the car. And 55? Please. In 6th, that's lugging the engine, and I don't recommend that during break in or afterward.

Drive it like you will be driving it, vary RPM and load often during the first 500, and don't be afraid to get on it. I saved full-throttle for after 500, but did give her a few strong pulls up to about 5 grand or so.

Just my $0.02.

Gerry

·
Registered
569 Posts
Salesmen are usually the last people to care about break in. Most of the cars out there were "abused" according to the break in procedures long before the owner ever even bought it. More important than how it is driven in the beginning is proper heat cycling- which I doubt any sales men care about- they just move the cars around the lot without allowing a full warm up/cool down, etc. I am not one to have a lot of faith in the old school "break in " ideas, so it is no skin off my back how the car was treated prior to purchase- but some people cringe at the thought of going over 3000 rpms' for the first 3000 miles... Anyway, good luck with your car, I think you'll be very happy with it :).
Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.