Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Lemans
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for recommendations on which book is best for Pontiac engine builds. Something that might suggest which parts and from which years to use, and other tips for the most cost effective build. I keep seeing this book advertised:
How to Build Max-Performance Pontiac V-8s

Any thoughts on this book? Any other recommendations for a book purchase?

I'd also be interested in any online articles you might recommend. I know there are a ton of posts on here that will help too. I ran across a 2017 post from BearGFR

Looks like a lot of great information. Any others you can recommend?

Thanks,
Brian

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
The book you referenced is very good for an experienced builder or for someone looking to warm up their Pontiac engine. It is a modern version of the Jim Hand book which has been out of print for years and when found on the used book market often sells for well over $100. Rocky is a well known Pontiac enthusiast and writer. He also wrote 'How To Rebuild Pontiac V-8s'. It is another excellent book for the first time Pontiac engine builder explaining the unusual Pontiac details that make them different from the other makes.
Jim Hand has a series of newsletters that goes into great detail of how to make your Pontiac competitive at the drags.

Here are a few other sites:

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I'm looking for recommendations on which book is best for Pontiac engine builds. Something that might suggest which parts and from which years to use, and other tips for the most cost effective build. I keep seeing this book advertised:
How to Build Max-Performance Pontiac V-8s

Any thoughts on this book? Any other recommendations for a book purchase?

I'd also be interested in any online articles you might recommend. I know there are a ton of posts on here that will help too. I ran across a 2017 post from BearGFR

Looks like a lot of great information. Any others you can recommend?

Thanks,
Brian

We have a list of them. You want a Chassis Manual for your year car as a starter as it will cover engine disassembly, assembly, and specs.

Read the list and you will see a few good pics:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts