Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting ready to convert over to Fuel Injection, and I plan on swapping out the crappy cam, detailing the engine (which was done horribly), and repainting the engine bay, at the same time.

I already have the paint ofor the engine.

I was goint to do the inner fenders, rad support, under hood, and firewall semi-gloss black. However now I'm wondering how it would all look Cameo Ivory, to match the body. Has anyone body matched their engine bay?

Picks if you got em.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
I've seen cars like that but I'm not sure how white would look? Guess you could always try an area then paint over it, did mine in a gloss black metallic rattle can, I even went more rouge with painting the motor AMC blue metallic because the shade went better with the car color, I know some people are clutching their chest right now but
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Rim
I'm just different like that ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here's one of a light yellow 65 GTO that should help you visualize what your white would do for an engine bay. I think it would look fantastic......until you put a few thousand miles on it. There's good reason all cars come with semi-gloss/satin black engine bays. I'm too picky to stand seeing engine grime and scratches in the engine bay and too lazy to want to maintain that fresh paint look...I'll stick with satin or flat black and let the wear and tear hide there.

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Car Automotive design

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Here's one of a light yellow 65 GTO that should help you visualize what your white would do for an engine bay. I think it would look fantastic......until you put a few thousand miles on it. There's good reason all cars come with semi-gloss/satin black engine bays. I'm too picky to stand seeing engine grime and scratches in the engine bay and too lazy to want to maintain that fresh paint look...I'll stick with satin or flat black and let the wear and tear hide there.

View attachment 146462
That does look cool, not sure if it goes with that Pontiac blue but it sure makes the motor stand out...gotta love dual quads (y)

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

View attachment 146462
That looks great, but there's not a single detail left undone in there. I do wash my engine bay during every car wash, so Im not worried about dirt. Im a bit curious about how much better or worse whit would be for cleaning and heat.

All of my cars are black and when I wash them, they absorb the sun. The GTO is whit, and when I wash it, I get a sunburn from the reflection.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm no paint expert, but once you start getting away from a gloss finish the paint wants to "soak-up" dirt more easily. White would be the worst when it comes to staining wrt to oils and such. It's kinda odd that white shows much less exterior dirt, but a stain will will pop out like no tomorrow.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Im getting ready to convert over to Fuel Injection, and I plan on swapping out the crappy cam, detailing the engine (which was done horribly), and repainting the engine bay, at the same time.

I already have the paint ofor the engine.

I was goint to do the inner fenders, rad support, under hood, and firewall semi-gloss black. However now I'm wondering how it would all look Cameo Ivory, to match the body. Has anyone body matched their engine bay?

Picks if you got em.
I have seen several cars at Carlisle where the engine bay matched the exterior paint on the car. I thought it looked awesome in every instance. Made me wish I had done the same.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts